PDA

View Full Version : Winter at the refuge.

dankearl
05-24-2011, 07:24 PM
A photo I took last winter on a gloomy day in the Pacific NW, with a newly purchased 70-200VRII lens.
I didn't really buy it for a Landscape lens, and I haven't really figured out how to use it as such.
I took this right after I bought it and keep going back to it.
Just a couple of snags in a refuge but I like it for some reason and I don't know why?

1/125
F11
Handheld
135mm
iso400
Nikon D7000 w/ 70-200VRII
Very little PP, a bit of sharpening and a bit of saturation.
The lens itself is very sharp.

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af332/dkearl/DSC_2462-1.jpg

Indranil Sircar
05-25-2011, 12:54 AM
Dan, I think you have captured the tranquil nature of the refuge with the ducks and the lone goose. Layers of the water and the grass makes it nice composition. I probably would have preferred the entire tree or cropped an inch from top. It is definitely sharp!

Roman Kurywczak
05-25-2011, 10:21 AM
Hey Dan,
Well....as presented this one looks like you clipped the trees.....not cropped. A few steps forward if possible to eliminate the FG grasses would have helped in the field. I do think if you go more pano and crop off the top....eliminateing the dark area on the UR and UL would help. You may also want to lighten the greens a touch to give the LH tree a bit more impact. Keep this location in mind and perhaps returning with more dramatic light will give you other possible options. Winter may also be a viable option!

Dave Mills
05-25-2011, 10:45 AM
Hi Dan, Roman summed it up for me. The foreground grasses could make a nice base if I could see more of them.

Robert Amoruso
05-30-2011, 04:51 PM
Dan,

Short telephotos are perfect lens for isolating subjects like these trees. It would have been better to not cropped the tree and lost some of the FG as suggested.

dankearl
05-30-2011, 05:12 PM
Thanks all for the comments.
I did not clip the trees, I cropped them because I hated the bland sky.
We get so many bland dreary skies in the Northwest, that I probably overcompensate by cropping them out every chance I get.
Here is the repost with the full shot.
You all are probably right.

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af332/dkearl/DSC_2462-2.jpg