Focal Length: 700mm
Aperture: F/6.3
Shutter Speed: 1/160s
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: +2.0EV
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 200

John Chardine
05-24-2011, 07:54 PM
What was for lunch Roy? Great to capture predation like this. Your +2 ev saved the day against such a bright BG but the subject is still a bit dark. You could add some Fill light in Adobe Camera Raw or dodge the bird, or use Shadows and Highlights to brighten up. I would take a little off the right because the bird is looking down and doesn't need as much space there.

Roy Priest
05-25-2011, 12:40 PM
What was for lunch Roy? Great to capture predation like this. Your +2 ev saved the day against such a bright BG but the subject is still a bit dark. You could add some Fill light in Adobe Camera Raw or dodge the bird, or use Shadows and Highlights to brighten up. I would take a little off the right because the bird is looking down and doesn't need as much space there.

John, not sure what bird it was. I have a couple of legs being swallowed so if you can identify a bird by it's legs I can send you the pic.:bg3: As for darkness I did use s/h and even changed blend mode to screen. You should see the original it is very, very dark.

John Chardine
05-25-2011, 02:22 PM
What does "Screen" blending mode do Roy?

Roy Priest
05-25-2011, 04:08 PM
John, screen lightens the image. In some photos I use screen blend then lower the opacity to taste. If I want to lighten an area like an eye I use hide all in the layer mask, this hides the screen mode then by using a brush you can paint the lightness back in and then adjust the opacity if needed. You can lighten even more by duplicating the image.

John Chardine
05-25-2011, 06:38 PM
Just tried it. Never used it before. it sure does brighten things up. I'll have to figure out how it compares to doing a Curves or Levels adjustment. Thanks.

Roy Priest
05-25-2011, 06:57 PM
John, here's the original image as it came from the camera.

Jamie Douglas
05-25-2011, 08:47 PM
Handled well Roy and nice encounter. I migth be inclined to crop just a little tighter given the lack of room on the bottom.

Stan Cunningham
05-26-2011, 12:25 PM
Very nice, I'm gong to have to study what you did, still to new to PS to digest quicky. Although I usually like a busier background than most, I did find the distant limbs distracting, might try keeping one, see how it looks.