PDA

View Full Version : Four Juvenile Red Squirrels

Steve Wasson
05-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Canon 7D, 70-200 f/4 w/1.4x III TC; f/6.3, 1/250, ISO 400, Manual Exposure. RAW conversion + crop, slight sharpening in LR. Levels, more sharpening, cleaned up the gutter in CS5.
I should have bumped the exposure up a bit more to compensate for the bright sky...
We thought the squirrel nest was in the back yard; turns out its in the soffit just out of view to the right. Hard to get one holding still, much more so 4 of them!
Ideally, I'd like them sitting on a branch with a nicer background, instead of on the roof peak with overcast sky. Don't think its going to happen, though.

Jeff Cashdollar
05-24-2011, 06:35 PM
Steve, this is a nice moment in life pic - getting four together is good stuff. I do not often see a group from a nest, maybe others have. Really nice if right side were cleaner - we take what we get right. DoF looks good, where was the focal point. You might experiment with some fill light - well done.

ps - what was the metering mode.

John Chardine
05-24-2011, 07:57 PM
Hi Steve- Nice and sharp and I love the composition with the two pairs. The colour and warmth of the image is really appealing. A little of the right would de-emphasise the rain-gutter a bit.

dankearl
05-24-2011, 10:11 PM
I think the colors are really nice and I like the sharpness and the expressions you captured.
I am all for squirrel photos.
Thanks.

Kerry Perkins
05-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Steve, I think the exposure is ok! You get nice saturated colors and details at this exposure. Really cute image and great work on your part to get the capture! I think it's time to post some squirrels. Anyone else have any?

Chris Ober
05-27-2011, 08:37 AM
Cute shot, I like it. The rain gutter doesn't bother me at all and I think it would look worse if that last one's body was just cut at the end of a frame. Wish there was some separation between the two on the right.