PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in an LCD monitor?

Chris Starbuck
03-26-2008, 02:54 PM
The time is fast approaching for me to replace my CRT monitor, and I'm starting to look at LCDs. I have a good idea of size & resolution that I want (22-24" and at least 1600x1050 pixels), but the range of other specs leaves me wondering what's actually best for a photographer? I see contrast ratios of 700:1 to 10,000:1, brightness of 300-500 cd/m2, and response times of 2-16ms. What's good, bad, or unimportant?

I use my photos for prints, projection, and web display.

Any opinions?:D Any recommendation regarding brands to avoid? What do the pros out there use? (Apples are mostly out of my amateur/hobby price range.)

Chris

Bob Ettinger
03-26-2008, 06:17 PM
There are several Dell models which people seem to like at various price points. The 22, 24, 27 and 30. Take a look. Also another is the HP LP2465

Roger Clark
03-28-2008, 12:15 AM
Check out these links. The first describes the different LCD technologies. Basically, you want an S-IPS monitor,
and you need to calibrate it.

The second lists monitor types.

http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php?title=Master_Monitors_List

I use a Dell 30" monitor. I have them at work too. The 30-inch monitors are 4.1 megapixels. Images are stunning on them. The Dell LCD is made by LG. The apple cinemas are similar (I wonder if they too are LG LCDs?). Hoping for an 8-megapixel display soon.....(and that the price is low enough to buy one).

It is a big adjustment going from a CRT to LCD. I hated it until I got an S-IPS monitor.

Roger

Maxis Gamez
03-28-2008, 05:43 AM
Dell's are very affordable and very easy to calibrate.

Jim Poor
03-28-2008, 06:33 AM
Even when I was a PC user, I still used Apple Cinema monitors.

Chris Starbuck
03-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Thanks to all. The two links Roger provided are especially helpful. They explain some of my frustration with laptop LCDs (they're all TN technology, with its inherently limited color gamut). My conclusion matches Rogers, i.e., I'll want a monitor that uses S-IPS technology, and unfortunately only the 30" (expensive) monitors use that. So I'll save my pennies for a while yet, and hope my CRT doesn't die too soon.

Dom Leone
04-01-2008, 08:04 PM
The Apple 23" Cinema display uses an S-IPS panel. I just got one for my indows mchine and I am very pleased.