PDA

View Full Version : Yosemite Lower Falls in B&W

Kaustubh Deshpande
05-24-2011, 12:49 PM
went with family to Yosemite last week. We were there just for little over a day and it was a very rainy(snow at higher elevations), cloudy and foggy day.

40D. 17-40f4L at 32mm. iso 100. f/14. 1/10s. Did not have my tripod so had to do this handheld :-) And I was wiping my lens between shots...Lots of water and amazing spray there right now.

All C&C welcome.

Dave Mills
05-24-2011, 06:07 PM
Hi Kaustubh, the lighting certainly creates a somber mood along with the mist. The water,while silky still manages to have a semblance of detail. I like the positioning of the falls and would have only suggested a bit more base so the left hand foreground rocks wouldn't look clipped...

Steven Kersting
05-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Tough call on this one...I don't think there is any true black in the image which makes it a bit flat. But that flatness adds to the sense of "spray/ fog"....
I'd try it with a levels adjustment and see what you think.

dankearl
05-24-2011, 06:50 PM
I like it but thinks it could use a bit more contrast on the right side. I like the water, it captures the "roaring" of the falls and I think 1/10 was about right for the SS.
I too would like more at the bottom and I would even crop a bit from the top.
The sky above waterfalls is always the hardest area to get right. The slow SS always messes up the sky.
It is really hard to get both right.

Indranil Sircar
05-25-2011, 12:45 AM
Kaustubh, it is tough to photograph at the lower Yosemite this time of the year. I think you did good with 1/10s hand held. The fall looks good. The rocks tend to loose details with that mist anyways.

Norm Dulak
05-25-2011, 09:31 AM
Kaustubh.

Nice, but I'd like to see a bit more at the bottom also. And although I like a somewhat blurred waterfall, I think your shutter speed was somewhat too slow. I'd like a little more texture in the waterfall. :S3:

But this image was worth capturing as is. Thanks!

Norm

Kaustubh Deshpande
05-25-2011, 09:42 AM
Thx for all the constructive feedback. This is already much more contrasty than what the scene was....but I'll try playing around.

Roman Kurywczak
05-25-2011, 10:15 AM
Hey Kaustubh,
Funny.....I was going to suggest the opposite of contrast! I think you will lose too much of the mist and fog! Good advice by Dave on the base too. I have been there a number of times at this time of year and the water flow can be amazing! I may have pumped the ISO a bit too as with strong water flows sometimes faster is better. Just something to keep in mind.

Harshad Barve
06-01-2011, 08:38 PM
KD

very nice indeed , excellent capture and conversion
TFS

Andrew McLachlan
06-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Kaustubh, very nicely done. I often find the best place to shoot waterfalls is where the mist is falling. Rather annoying to have to wipe the lens off between every image, but often the results are worth it as you have illustrated with this image.