PDA

View Full Version : Outerwear - Waterproof Jacket and/or Vest

Bob Rowe
05-23-2011, 07:39 PM
Does anyone else do a lot of shooting in cold and wet conditions? I am looking for either a quality fully waterproof jacket or some type of waterproof vest. Ideally, whichever would be capable of holding some of my equipment and double almost as a small bag. Lots of pockets (that can actually fit equipment) and attachment points are key.

Has anyone run into anything specifically for photogs? Any thoughts on the subject are much appreciated.

Ed Cordes
05-23-2011, 07:52 PM
Your requested specs are a tall order. Waterproof as well as being a photography vest is hard to find. Besides layering is what i find to be the best approach. I use an LL Bean Ascent Gortex shell. it is Gortex Pro fabric. I can get a camera body or a 17-40 lens in the outside pockets, a portable HD and several filters in the inside pockets. It also layers well with a fleece. If you add high quality long thermal underwear I am good to the mid '20's F and waterproof.

Hope this helps.

Roger Clark
05-23-2011, 10:21 PM
Ed,
Is gortex actually water proof? My understanding is that microfiber cloths can pass water under enough pressure. So for example, if you are on your knees or elbows, water can seep in at those pressure points. Or perhaps the technology has improved a lot over the last few years??? If so I probably need to get some new gear.

Roger

Desmond Chan
05-24-2011, 03:48 AM
Ed,
Is gortex actually water proof? My understanding is that microfiber cloths can pass water under enough pressure. So for example, if you are on your knees or elbows, water can seep in at those pressure points.

That's what I was told by some outdoor guys, too, i.e., if you are in heavy rain for a few hours, Gortex won't stop you from getting wet. In such situation, if you want something that works, get a real rain coat/jackets/pants (even those cheap ones work better than just Gortex).

Jason Kinsey
05-24-2011, 07:18 AM
As a life-long outdoorsman, I've given this a lot of thought over the years (and made some mistakes), and here is what I've come up with. Gore-Tex is the way to go for 95% of folks in 95% of situations out there. It works in virtually every situation except prolonged periods of drastic exposure (like Roger and Desmond said it WILL let in water eventually). A few questions: Will you actually be holding the jacket under water, or kneeling in a puddle? If not, Gore-Tex should be sufficient. Also, how important is staying dry underneath? The bad thing about a lot of "rain gear" is that they don't breathe that well. At all. Gore-Tex and similar fabrics offer a little more breathability.

To give you an idea-my waterfowling jacket is 8 or 10 years old, and has a liner similar to Gore-Tex. In boat rides in downpours and many years of 3 or 4 day a week use, it has never leaked on me during normal use. When it has been submerged in the water (or when I fall in!!!), it will leak given time. Again, for active use it is tough to beat Gore-Tex IMO. I used to keep a sure-enough rain suit (PVC or a similar material) in my truck for getting out and handling things in a downpour where staying dry on the inside wasn't that big of a deal (kneeling down in water to change tires or work on something like that). Another example-I have "waterproof" pants that I use in the field. But when I need to wade, I wear my chest waders or hip boots (or shorts if its warm enough!) So I guess I have multiple garments for different uses. Kinda sounds like camera bags, doesn't it???

Cabelas makes some awesome gear, as does L.L. Bean and Columbia. Bass Pro Shops gear is ok, but I prefer Cabela's for clothing. Can't give you reviews on other outdoor brands as I haven't used them much. Hope this helps.

Ed Cordes
05-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Ed,
Is gortex actually water proof? My understanding is that microfiber cloths can pass water under enough pressure. So for example, if you are on your knees or elbows, water can seep in at those pressure points. Or perhaps the technology has improved a lot over the last few years??? If so I probably need to get some new gear.

Roger
Roger, you are probably correct. I have been in a lot of rain and not had issues. However I have not placed a lot of pressure on the fabric. I do know that there must be a temperature gradient of warm body to a bit cooler air for the "breathing" to occur.

Danny J Brown
05-24-2011, 10:18 PM
I think Jason is on track here. I've been a fisheries biologist working every winter on large rivers for a couple decades, right along commercial fishermen, and when I'm not at work in winter I'm usually duck hunting or photographing ducks. I think a nice waterfowl jacket from Cabelas or somewhere like that would be the direction to consider. I've always used Gore-Tex because of breathability and excellent water resistance. I often wear a wool sweater under the jacket if it is really cold but these coats are warm on their own as well. Most waterfowl jackets have plenty of pockets by the way but I also carry a Drake waterfowl shoulder bag for a lot of my extra gear. By the way, we've tried PVC raincoats, etc. that are totally waterproof but they are miserable to wear and do not allow your body to release moisture......very bad! Good luck with your decision.

DB

Bill Coatney
05-25-2011, 07:02 PM
As another waterfowler, Gore Tex and other similar materials are the way to go. There are now 'breathable' waders as well. Cabelas, LL Bean, Columbia and other reputable vendors sell quality garments.

Filson (based in Seattle) makes a waxed cotton/canvas that isn't bad as far as being 'breathable' but does require periodic maintenance-- it has a ton of pockets and is a garment that probably will be passed on to your heirs

Orvis sells Barbour (Made in England) makes a waxed cotton garment that is also a "lifetime" garment.

You might also look at Drake garments and blind bags--

I highly recommend them--

the garments are well made,durable--I especially like the insulated bibs with to the hip zippers making then real easy get on or off over boots etc
the blind bags are closed cell neoprene on 5 sides and I've used it to run a 1DMKIIN and 100-400 to and from the duck blind

Charles Glatzer
06-13-2011, 05:56 PM
Does anyone else do a lot of shooting in cold and wet conditions? I am looking for either a quality fully waterproof jacket or some type of waterproof vest. Ideally, whichever would be capable of holding some of my equipment and double almost as a small bag. Lots of pockets (that can actually fit equipment) and attachment points are key.

Has anyone run into anything specifically for photogs? Any thoughts on the subject are much appreciated.

I have no experiance with this coat but it sounds like it may fit your needs.
http://www.outdoorphotogear.com/store/gitzo-four-seasons-photo-jacket.html

Chas