PDA

View Full Version : RED-BREASTED MERGANSER

gary ellwein
05-22-2011, 09:11 PM
While focusing on 12 western grebes, 6 male red-breasted merganser joined the party. The grebes were featured in the the out of the box forum. Nikon D3s, Nikkor 200-400mm, f7.1, 1/1000, iso 400.

Dick Huberty
05-22-2011, 09:38 PM
Good capture! Looks like it was not a good hair day... does the fur or hair always stand up like that on their heads?
Dick Huberty

gary ellwein
05-22-2011, 10:38 PM
Good capture! Looks like it was not a good hair day... does the fur or hair always stand up like that on their heads?
Dick Huberty

Dick, the head feathers are up when they are not diving for food, When wet, they flatten. I'll post some action images in the next few days which show flattened feathers.

Thanks for the view and comment.

Gary

Jon Saperia
05-23-2011, 07:52 AM
I know how hard it is to get the green on a male RB Merganser to look just right without blowing out the whites and from what I can see you have accomplished that (getting the sun angle correct is also hard). It also looks like you had a great example. When I can get them the breast is not as nicely filled in as yours.

Two comments. First, I like the crop but I might have taken just a very small amount from the top and about 1/2 inch from the right side which would still have left plenty to the front of the bird. Others may disagree with this.

The second comment is that the tip of the beak seems a tiny bit out of focus, perhaps more shutter speed? I assume this was hand held. Great job with that lens if it was.

/jon

Joe Brown
05-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Great shot.
I would like to see more of the reflection showing the head at the bottom.

Joe

Kerry Perkins
05-23-2011, 10:05 PM
Hi Gary, good job on this one! It feels tight in the frame all the way around, but other than that I like it a lot. Nice head angle and full profile capture, good details and color, and nice sharp eye. I would probably try to bring up the black level of the feathers on the back of the head. Well done!

Tom Redd
05-24-2011, 03:22 PM
Gary, I like this shot alot. I prefer it much more than the action shot you posted, but then, I haven't seen the full sequence. Excellent shot. TFS

Steve Wasson
05-24-2011, 06:10 PM
Excellent image, Gary! I would like to see more of the reflection, but not always possible. How much did you crop the original image?

Steven Kersting
05-24-2011, 06:42 PM
Nice capture.
Pic seems a bit flat and washed out to me (maybe due to no color space). I think a levels adjustment and maybe a light touch of high pass sharpening.

gary ellwein
05-24-2011, 08:30 PM
Nice capture.
Pic seems a bit flat and washed out to me (maybe due to no color space). I think a levels adjustment and maybe a light touch of high pass sharpening.

I agree Steven. The original on my monitor is brighter. I tried high pass sharpening and note an improvement.

Thanks, Gary

gary ellwein
05-24-2011, 08:38 PM
Excellent image, Gary! I would like to see more of the reflection, but not always possible. How much did you crop the original image?

Steve, thanks for the look and comment. I elected to disregard the reflection. I did not think it warrented special attention.

Gary