PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Carbonite?

Dan Brown
05-22-2011, 11:00 AM
Are any of you using an online backup service? I am looking at Carbonite - 3 years, $140.
Anyone using it or any other off site storage/backup services?

Rob Miner
05-22-2011, 12:26 PM
Are any of you using an online backup service? I am looking at Carbonite - 3 years, $140.
Anyone using it or any other off site storage/backup services?

Hi Dan, I am using carbonite. I have copies of two hard drives with them. It appears to be a no brainer in its use. My only complaint is that they do not cover main operating system or softwear programs.

Rob...........

Dan Brown
05-22-2011, 12:48 PM
Hi Dan, I am using carbonite. I have copies of two hard drives with them. It appears to be a no brainer in its use. My only complaint is that they do not cover main operating system or softwear programs.

Rob...........

Thanks Rob. What type internet connection are you using? I have DSL over the phone line and am assuming that it would take a long time to backup my 400+gb!

Rob Miner
05-22-2011, 01:16 PM
Thanks Rob. What type internet connection are you using? I have DSL over the phone line and am assuming that it would take a long time to backup my 400+gb!

Hi Dan, I have the same Internet connection on the phone line for DSL. And to answer your question - Yes, it takes quite a while, however, it is all done when your are working on something else or asleep in bed.

Rob..............

Jamie Strickland
05-22-2011, 08:32 PM
I was with mozy and switched to crashplan, cheaper than carbonite and a better interface with all the options imo, 4yrs is 140 bucks. I cant say anything bad about carbonite they are solid as well.

When mozy screwed over their customers (or tried to) it seems the vast majority of them went to crashplan from the big thread on mozys site, I will see that I have had 0 problems with crashplan and with mozy I had numerous so I would highly recommend crashplan. I have crashplan on my main machine where I backup the data to the cloud, then I have that machine also backed up to an external disk array, also have the crashplan client on my other PC's which I backup to my main desktop which is free. I have 470GB

for 400GB on DSL which is probably maxed out at 1Mbs upload your looking at 2 1/2 to 3 months to upload ! it takes forever ! I ended up upgrading my cable connection so I had reliable 2Mbs upload and it still took a long time. With Crashplan you can backup to that and then ship it to them and then continue the backup I think its like 150 bucks or something though.

Allen Hirsch
05-24-2011, 07:02 PM
I use Carbonite.

First backup took forever (longer than the trial period); but incremental files since have gone quickly (usually overnight).

Dan Brown
05-24-2011, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys! Jamie, I will look into crashplan! Allen, it is interesting to hear how long the upload took!! I expect that with whichever product I go with!