PDA

View Full Version : Laughing Gulls

Norm Dulak
05-22-2011, 04:46 AM
Nikon D7000 w/Nikkor 28-300mm vrII lens @ 300mm, hand held
ISO 400; f/11, 1/1000 sec
Matrix Metering -1
PP: minor PS CS5 Camera Raw luminance NR, levels, curves, some specular highlights cloned out, upper canvass expansion and minor upper wing tip reconstruction

What these laughing gulls were doing in this image captured at Primehook Beach on the Delaware shore yesterday is unclear. But I found it interesting.

All comments and suggestions for improvement are welcome.

Norm

Hendri Venter
05-22-2011, 06:03 AM
Lots of action and sharp detail. Good techs to get both birds sharp. Well done Norm.

gail bisson
05-22-2011, 06:31 AM
Excellent depth of field. Good exposure and I love the feather details of both birds. I just wish we could see the face or eye of the gull in foreground. Love the interaction,
Gail

Norm Dulak
05-22-2011, 07:22 AM
Excellent depth of field. Good exposure and I love the feather details of both birds. I just wish we could see the face or eye of the gull in foreground. Love the interaction,
Gail

Thanks Gail.

I too would like to see that other face. And I wonder whether there was something in its beak that the flying gull was trying to take away or deliver. But the bird in the foreground does make up for it somewhat by displaying all of its back plumage. :S3:

Norm

Kaustubh Deshpande
05-22-2011, 07:56 AM
Norm, the action is excellent...so is the IQ....and I like the vantage point you got. I am wondering if you'd have got the necessary DOF with a slightly wider aperture. Some more blur in the BG wud have been nice.

Ofer Levy
05-22-2011, 08:34 AM
Nice action. Not seeing the full face of both birds and the lack of any blur in the BG weaken this image IMO.

Norm Dulak
05-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Nice action. Not seeing the full face of both birds and the lack of any blur in the BG weaken this image IMO.

Thanks Ofer. I absolutely agree with you. Moreover, since we can't see both birds' faces, we really can't understand the nature of the interaction between them. That's a pity.

Bill Dix
05-22-2011, 01:58 PM
Techs and IQ are terrific. One of those images where just a tiny change could have produced a winner. I can imagine how it might look if the rear bird were just a bit higher, to see his entire bill; and the rear bird with head raised a bit higher to see his bill and eyes as well. Wishful thinking seems to be a big component of my birding and photography.