PDA

View Full Version : Morning at Arrowtown, New Zealand

Jay Gould
05-22-2011, 04:04 AM
I have just completed what can only be described as one of the most fantastic landscape/seascape learning experiences in my short photography career. I joined 8 other photographers - 2 from Slovakia, 2 from Singapore, and 4 of us from Australia - as students in an 18 day New Zealand South Island Workshop organized and taught by Kah Kit Yoong and Winnie Ho - http://www.magichourtravelscapes.com/index.php. You will not be sorry if you peak at their amazing images.

This image is from the first morning, a very overcast morning, with the sun fighting to peak through the clouds.

Multiple virtual copies of the DNG were processed in LR to bring out/emphasize different aspects of the image and then blended (5 images) into the original image in CS5.

Camera: 5D2
Capture date/time: 23/04/11; 7:40am
Light condition: overcast
Lens: 70-200 f/2.8
Focal length: 700mm
Distance:
Extender: none
Tube: none
Flash/Comp: no;
ISO: 100
Exp Prog: Av
Speed: 0.3 sec
Aperture: f/32
Exp Comp: 0
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: single shot
Tripod: yes
Filter: SR GNDs
Crop: minimal
Image Changes: lots!

Processed in LR3 and CS5, Pixel Genius Sharpening.

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

Jay Gould
05-22-2011, 06:06 AM
Sure wish editing lasted longer and that we could edit the title of our Threads.

This is Arrowtown; not Glenorchy.

Dave Mills
05-22-2011, 09:18 AM
Hi Jay, I believe the seasons are reversed in Australia in comparison to the US. The colors really pop in the image and I like how you chose layering different elements within the terrain. Due to the shading and location the pathway is not an important terrain factor but handled well by not being intrusive. I was debating the placement of the tall bare tree on the rt but after studying the image(based on the whole) I like it's placement. Good job Jay...

Roman Kurywczak
05-22-2011, 09:44 AM
Hey Jay,

Took care of the editing for you!

I like the comp for the reasons Dave mentioned and also the way you balanced the entire scene. Nice flow and light to the entire scene. Given the DOF, the image does not appear as sharp here on BPN as I would expect. I wonder if it is from the stacking ?....or something else in PP'ing. Double check that on your end but otherwise.... very nicely done!

Jay Gould
05-22-2011, 03:56 PM
Hi Roman, My Master PSD is a much sharper image :S3: than what is presented in this jpg compression reducing 120mb to 195kb at quality 49 :eek:.

Thanks for the title correction - :w3

dankearl
05-22-2011, 06:34 PM
I agree about the focus and I would de-saturate it just a tad. Nice comp, three different landscape in one!

Jay Gould
05-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Hi, is it Dan K Earl?

Me? De-saturate? :2eyes2:

Nah, I like em hot!! Wait till you see the next one.

Seriously, the colors at the locations we visited on South Island, New Zealand, when hit by the sun were hot.

Too bad about the focus; it is definitely the result of jpg compression and probably the blending process too.

peter delaney
05-23-2011, 03:58 PM
Hi Jay...

your enthusiasm is refreshing !! big fan of Kah kit Yoong...

I love the strong composition within this image.... and the beautiful winter colours... Saturation is always subjective ...

great image ... well done... looking forward to more:S3:

Indranil Sircar
05-25-2011, 01:00 AM
Beautiful composition, Jay. I am with Dave on how you layered the various elements. The colors are popping. Thanks for the link... awesome images.

Jay Gould
05-25-2011, 03:31 PM
From suggestions here and on NatureScapes I reworked the right hill or trees and applied a bit of contrast sharpening using Tony Kuyper Actions.

Jerry van Dijk
05-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Hi Jay, RP looks better sharpnesswise! I like the different leading lines in this composition. Trees, hills and that ray of light on the trees on the right criss-cross very nicely, with the vertical of the bare trees breaking them along the ROT line to add a point of interest. The dramatic sky compliments the lovely fall color. Nice work!

Harshad Barve
06-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Jay
Very refreshing image , well seen and captured
TFS

Robert Amoruso
06-03-2011, 09:05 AM
Jay,

Your pane 10 posting got it perfect - well done.

Jay Gould
06-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Thanks everyone for your assistance and kind comments.

I am in the process of preparing a website - finally - and this will definitely be included.

Cheers,

Andrew McLachlan
06-03-2011, 04:23 PM
Hi Jay, pane #10 is beautiful!