PDA

View Full Version : Water Scorpion portrait

Steve Maxson
05-21-2011, 09:43 AM
This Water Scorpion (Family Nepidae) was photographed in my 2-gallon aquarium setup last summer. These are slow moving predators and the photo gives a good look at the somewhat flexible 3-segmented beak. It also illustrates how their exoskeletons become homes for a variety of algae and protozoans. 40D, MP-E 65 mm, 1/250, f/16, ISO 100, MT-24EX macro twin flash (diffused), tripod, cable release. I cleaned up some bits of floating debris in the water. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Nick Palmieri
05-22-2011, 07:19 AM
This is really interesting. I think you added interest by the crop you select. I am sort of wishing the other eye were in focus but realize the difficulty in making that happen. The sharp eye does pull you into it rather nicely. TFS

Roman Kurywczak
05-22-2011, 10:04 AM
Hey Steve,
Another interesting look in to the alien world that you have taken us into! I think the comp works well but I do think the depth of the creature? on this one just isn't coming through like it did on some of the others and I think it is just because of the subject.......although not sure as I have never seen one of these before:bg3:! As usual.....lighting handled really well!

bhavya joshi
05-23-2011, 12:20 AM
nice alien pose steve.. Nice eye contact and details also.. well captured..:c3:

Mitch Haimov
05-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Another strong--and alien--image, Steve. The "hitchhikers" add interest. The slightly OOF rear eye doesn't bother me. That said, I do not find this image quite as compelling as some of your other aquatic invertebrate images (although I would be pleased to make such an image myself).

Chris Ober
05-24-2011, 06:57 AM
This is pretty cool.. I don't think I've ever seen one before. Nice portrait. Are those eggs behind the front eye?

Brendan Dozier
05-24-2011, 10:13 AM
The eye on this guy is amazing, Steve. Love the detail. Nice image & composition, but both Roman & Mitch have points about it not being as good as some of your other aquarium critter images. I think another reason might be that it doesn't seem to have that glowing light that you have with some of the others.

Steve Maxson
05-24-2011, 10:26 AM
This is pretty cool.. I don't think I've ever seen one before. Nice portrait. Are those eggs behind the front eye?

Thanks for the feedback folks.

Chris - What you are seeing in back of the eye are colonies of protozoans that are attached to the water scorpion's exoskeleton. :S3:

Jerry van Dijk
05-24-2011, 03:42 PM
Nicely done, Steve, great details and nice composition with the leading lines given by the front legs.