PDA

View Full Version : Gerber Daisy From Behind

Nick Palmieri
05-20-2011, 05:58 PM
I shot this last week at a friends nursery, along with Susan Candelario and Roman K. I used my 7D, with 180mm macro, twin-lite flashes at -1, ISO 640, f/22, 1/60s. We back lit the flower (with Romans giant flashlight) in order to give the center a bit of a glow.

Mitch Haimov
05-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Very nice, Nick! Lighting works very well. The detail and textures work well in this image. I also like the off-center composition, but think it would have worked even better if the camera had been a little lower so that it was looser on top and tighter on bottom so that the leading line of the stem went through the looser side. Nice work.

Dave Mills
05-21-2011, 08:52 AM
Hi Nick, Great idea to backjight the subject. That doesn't work well on alot of flowers but in this case it adds a glow that that adds color,richness and texture. I like it being off center. The only small nit is I might have given it just a little more room on the left...

Steve Maxson
05-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Hi Nick. Very interesting lighting effect - Roman's flashlight seems to work wonders. :S3: The off-center comp works well for me and you have good detail throughout. Well done.

Anita Bower
05-21-2011, 01:07 PM
The glow is wonderful! Thanks for telling us how you did it. Love the light on all the petals. The composition works well for me--graceful and simple. The only flaw for me are the imperfections in the green areas--they detract from the beauty of the image.

Roman Kurywczak
05-22-2011, 09:54 AM
Hey Nick,
It was a fund day! I'll echo Anita's comments although I may have liked a hair more room left like Dave also! Wait till I buy that tactical flashlight!

Brendan Dozier
05-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Great job on this one, Nick. Really like the lines and colors in this composition and backlighting is a nice touch. Off center works well, but agree maybe just a sliver more on left. :S3:

Jerry van Dijk
05-24-2011, 03:37 PM
Hi Nick, I love the flaslight effect! Agree with a little more room on the left. I think you should have stopped down the flash a little more. I think the light looks a bit too artificial now and I think it would have let the backlight effect come out better.

Ken Childs
05-26-2011, 10:50 AM
Hi Nick, I'm late to this one so I had a chance to see all the previous comments before I commented. I agree with all of the positive ones but not with any of the recommended changes. I think this looks fantastic as is and I wouldn't change a thing! :cheers: