PDA

View Full Version : D300 ~ Let's Chat

Jim Fenton
03-26-2008, 07:13 AM
I've been through 4 D300 bodies, the first being DOA (I can sort of accept that) and the next three suffering ongoing power issues / lockup and really less than stellar focus abilities, especially beyond 25 yards.

The AF is slow to get off the block, hunts badly on large subjects at times and simply isn't as "critically caccurate" as what i've experienced on my previos D2Xs bodies..especially on moving subjects.

This has happened with both my previous 500 AFSII and my current 500 VR, along with other lenses.

I am shooting with an ENEL3 in the body and ENEL4A in the grip.

Yes...they of course have been back to Nikon :)

Is anyone other than me having these issues???????

Jared Lloyd
03-26-2008, 08:41 AM
now these are problems that I have been having as well. However, I was passing this stuff off as my sigma lenses were not communicating with the body properly. My play back and stuff does lock up though I have found that sometimes it is my fault. Why Nikon would choose to place the pop up flash's exposure control button right next to where my hand rests on the camera is beyond me. A lot of the times, i find that my hand is pressing up against that and so nothing will work untill i move my hand.

I was at a wolf sanctuary 2 weeks ago shooting for a magazine story and after a good 8 hours of working, I came home only to find that nearly every single photograph was just slightly out of focus - all to the same degree. Like I said though, I assumed it was my lens. I am renting a lens this week to take back down there and find out one way or another. If its not my lens, I'm dumping the D300 and will just pick up a used D2xs body.

Is this a problem with the D3 as well?

Jared Lloyd
03-26-2008, 09:41 AM
one more thing, this issue has been raised by a number of people on nikonians as well. Also, there is a D300 firmware update available on Nikonusa.com. I bought my d300 in Februray and it came with the 1.01 update.... this is the 1.02. Not really sure how much difference that is going to make, but I like to stay updated with firmware versions.

Jim Fenton
03-26-2008, 10:50 AM
The firmware update, according to Nikon, simply addresses issues in exposures greater than 8 seconds in length.

I loaded it and it did nothing to correct the ongoing issues which i'm encountering.

Harry Behret
03-26-2008, 11:53 AM
I have he D3 and D300, both with close to 10,000 activations on them. I've shot with the 500mm f/4, 300mm f/4, 70-200mm VR, 80-400mmm VR, and 28-70mm 2.8 lenses and the 1.4 and 1.7 TCs. I have no major problems with either camera.

The D300 has a slight hesitation before the AF locks on the subject. The AF on both bodies is a significant improvement over the D2x and D200 I was shooting with previously. The AF systems on the 3 and the 300 are more complex and I have to think a little bit more when I'm in the field about which settings to use but I've experienced no problems with the AF.

Robert Amoruso
03-26-2008, 12:00 PM
Harry,

Any chance on getting you to elaborate on your AF settings?

Jim Fenton
03-26-2008, 12:39 PM
From a Nikon CA D300 user shooting a 500 as well:

1. Autofucus won't work. Remedy: reseat lens/TC.
2. Battery shows dead. Remedy: switch camera off and on again.
3. Autofocus loses target and stops. Remedy: switch camera off and on again.
4. Autoexposure failure - underexposes. Extreme case, black frame. No remedy.
5. Shortened battery charge life (around 50%). No remedy.

Sounds as if I'm not the only one.

Harry Behret
03-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Harry,

Any chance on getting you to elaborate on your AF settings?

It all depends on the circustances. If my subject is a snowy egret and it is against the water I've found that the 51 points dynamic AF to be excellent. You have a light subject against darker water and strong contrast in the scene. Now if you put an anhinga in the same settings you have less contrast and I've found that using 21 or 9 points to be more effective. I have yet to find a situation where the 3D tracking is effective for me. I have also found that with small subjects that 9 points has been the most effective setting for me so far.

I'm still experimenting with different combinations (I'm a slow learner) so none this is final by any stretch of the imagination.

Alfred Forns
03-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Sure wish you could get your hands on a functioning D300 Jim You have had an ordeal !!!

Both my D300 and D3 have been working well No issues

I am starting to trust the 51 point dynamic more and more Even on static subjects I let the point dance around and lock it when is at the point I want It is particularly good for flight. Just like using Canon 45 point For cluttered bg I will go to the center point.

One thing I have noticed is getting sloppy with the point placement and trusting the AF entirely When it is on one point I'm very careful in keeping the point on the bird. On large birds I actually try to locate the point on the head/neck area

My biggest difference in keeper (critically sharp) has to do with lighting differences AF systems do not perform the same with all types of light Overall I feel both are performing better than my MK2n

Jim Fenton
03-26-2008, 04:32 PM
This afternoon, Nikon called after some testing I'd done yesterday at their request and had me send the camera, grip, batteries and CF CARDS overnight to Melville as they are exploring and and all possibilities for these failures.

They are overnighting me all new gear, plus a D2Xs loaner...just in case.

I've got a ton of shooting to do the next three weeks to finish off a year long project that opens in a 7 month show on 5/3..so this is a great relief for the moment.

Robert O'Toole
03-26-2008, 09:16 PM
This afternoon, Nikon called after some testing I'd done yesterday at their request and had me send the camera, grip, batteries and CF CARDS overnight to Melville as they are exploring and and all possibilities for these failures.

They are overnighting me all new gear, plus a D2Xs loaner...just in case.

I've got a ton of shooting to do the next three weeks to finish off a year long project that opens in a 7 month show on 5/3..so this is a great relief for the moment.

Sorry to hear the problems Jim. They are the first I have heard with a D300. All friend's and my own are 100% working.

Robert

Jeff Wear
03-27-2008, 10:13 AM
Jim my 300 has been to Nikon 3 times they have had it more than I have. Long distance focus ,tracking and with mine after hrs of shooting the shutter no matter what the speed setting sound slow ,this will give you in the same second a different exposure in 2 shots ?? I have talked with a lot of folks and they have similar trouble but write it off to lens or lack of experience .

Todd Frost
03-27-2008, 10:48 AM
Sorry to hear you are having problems Jim. I've had mine for only a few months and have not had any problems to this point. I have the D2h, D200 and the D300 with in my opinion the 300 is far superior in every way. The af on the 2h and the 2x are the same and the 300 seems to focus better to me. Again sorry to hear of your problems, hope Nikon can sort it out for you.
Todd

Walt Anderson
03-27-2008, 10:58 AM
Jim, thanks for starting this thread. I have just returned from a two day session at Elephant Head pond in AZ using a 200-400 and a D300 from blinds with both 1.4 and 1.7 converters. First let me say that the versitilty of this combo is the best I have used in working from blinds. I have many great photos from the time there. I also had many times of frustration as the camera would completely fail to focus when changing from perch to perch. Also noted the comment above about a hesitation to lock on. I found many times that the camera would almost focus on a bird but if I lifted off the shutter button and tried again the focus would tweak into perfect focus. Using 51 point 3D settings lead to very inconsistent results in this type of photography. Center point was the the most consistent, pretty much like always. The IQ when everything work was fantastic. I have only used the current Nikon's for three months so am still on a learning curve and looking for answers. I did not have the opportunity to try tracking very much but was not impressed when I did. I believe that my experiences match Harry's as stated in his post. Please do not get the impression that I think this is a bad camera. I suspect that like any equipment we need to learn how to use it and to practice our techniques. But don't think that switching systems that your auto focus issues will go away. Good thread with lots on info so far.

Walt Anderson
Visual Echoes Inc.

Harry Behret
03-27-2008, 12:10 PM
Jim my 300 has been to Nikon 3 times they have had it more than I have. Long distance focus ,tracking and with mine after hrs of shooting the shutter no matter what the speed setting sound slow ,this will give you in the same second a different exposure in 2 shots ?? I have talked with a lot of folks and they have similar trouble but write it off to lens or lack of experience .

Sorry about your problems but I've had a completely different experience. Back in February I hosted a annual wildlife shoot on the Space Coast. We had over 50 photographers attend and many were using the D300. Not one person in the group had a problem with their D300.
Before and after Feb. I've been out with numerous D300 users and again no one experienced a problem with the camera.

Fabs Forns
03-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Mine works fine, but the D3 has better (faster and more precise) AF.

Jim Fenton
03-28-2008, 04:59 AM
The AF isn't the biggest problem although it's a big one itself.

The worst issue is the camera going from full charge to showing dead in an instant, the AF quits, the camera locks up and at times I haven't even been able to shut them down and have had to remove batteries from both the grip and the camera body in order to restore use of the camera. I am sure that Nikon is looking into it as more and more folks are reporting it.

I'll have new replacement gear from Nikon again today...includiung CF cards (they asked for mine) and a D2Xs back-up..just in case as a loaner.

Fabs Forns
03-28-2008, 05:03 AM
Good luck, Jim, hope this helps solved to your satisfaction. I know how frustrating this can be.

john crookes
03-28-2008, 04:19 PM
The phantom dead battery has been reported in a couple of forums with an assortment of remedies to fix the problem.

But some of the remedies will also void the warranty so I would beware

It happened once on my d300 and it was when I was using my 200mm f2 and the 1.7 extender

handheld and when i picked up the camera to my face if you do not hold by the lens it gives a dead battery sign

i belive people are experiencing the same problem that was reported with the d200

Robert O'Toole
03-28-2008, 04:45 PM
The AF isn't the biggest problem although it's a big one itself.

The worst issue is the camera going from full charge to showing dead in an instant, the AF quits, the camera locks up and at times I haven't even been able to shut them down and have had to remove batteries from both the grip and the camera body in order to restore use of the camera.

Jim,
Is there a specific reason you are using 2 batteries in 2 positions, body and grip? I normally leave the EN-EL3e battery at home to save weight and use a EN-EL4 in the MB-D10 Battery Pack. Just curious.

Robert

Jim Poor
03-28-2008, 05:56 PM
I was under the impression that the battery in camera had to be in place for the grip to work. Guess not . . .

That said, I've been using both batteries (the manual talks about how to set which battery is used first, so I figure that's the way it is supposed to be) without the issues mentioned above.

Robert O'Toole
03-28-2008, 06:17 PM
I was under the impression that the battery in camera had to be in place for the grip to work. Guess not . . .

My EN-EL3e (camera Battery) and charger has been sitting unused since the first day I had the camera. Give it a try, it helps save weight.

Robert

Todd Frost
03-28-2008, 06:18 PM
I've been using AA's in the grip without one in the body, works great (haven't been able to get batt cover yet).
Todd

David Kennedy
03-28-2008, 10:32 PM
Good luck, Jim, hope this helps solved to your satisfaction. I know how frustrating this can be.

Do you still have nightmares of the Mark III? :eek:

Jim Fenton
04-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Nikon sent me another replacement D300 and it failed after 146 frames...focus quit, top LCD indicator showed no juice and everything locked up. all new batteries, camera grip, CF cards.

I've tested a number of reccomendations, new batteries, CF cards, etc which they've sent me and it's obvious that at least with the 500 VR I'm shooting, that there is a real electrical issue under load...and there are a fair number of us experiencing this to varying degrees.

On top of the power issue, AF on BIF and moving subjects out past 25 yeard is extremely inconsistent.....and most of us are experiencing that as well.

I informed them of my latest failure / findings and am in a hold pattern until they figure this issue out. Fortunately, they sent me a Dxs loaner along with the replacement D300, just in case.

Jim Poor
04-02-2008, 11:14 AM
Should have asked them for a loaner D3 instead for all the trouble.

Jim Fenton
04-02-2008, 12:16 PM
For the area I shoot the D3 truly is pixel deprived if I'm going to crop at all and print at 16" x 20" which I frequently do for shows.

Unless of course I sold the 500 VR and wwent with a 600 VR, but along with the expenses, the extra weight I think would e a definite burden when hiking miles of beach to shoot shorebirds, working up in the dunes, etc.

I did shoot one for a day and compared it dieectly to images shot with a d300.

The D3 IQ is absolutely better, but it just doesn't hold up anywhere near as well upon crop and uprez. For bew use or magazines / smaller prints it would be outstanding.

Things are neither as big nor as accesible up here in the Northeast as they are in Florida / down south unfortunately.

James Shadle
04-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Here is how I fixed my D300 power issue.
I cleaned all of the contacts, especially the contacts were the battery pack fits to the body.
I used Deoxit, available from Radio Shack.
It was really that simple to fix.

Between Blake and I , we have 2 D300 bodies with no more issues.

James

Jim Fenton
04-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Hi James...

I own stock in DeOxIT at this point.

Myself and others have shown that in some cases, this is a cure...sometimes long lived and sometimes, the issues reappear that very same day.

I have no doubt that there are functioning bodies out there, but there's a fair number which exhibit this issue as well.

Jeff Wear
04-05-2008, 10:00 AM
"On top of the power issue, AF on BIF and moving subjects out past 25 yeard is extremely inconsistent.....and most of us are experiencing that as well."
I have not had the power issue but after 3 visits to nikon for repair I still have the same focus trouble with my d300

Robert O'Toole
04-05-2008, 10:44 AM
"On top of the power issue, AF on BIF and moving subjects out past 25 yeard is extremely inconsistent.....and most of us are experiencing that as well."
I have not had the power issue but after 3 visits to nikon for repair I still have the same focus trouble with my d300

Are you referring to AF accuracy results, as in viewing the images later, or are you speaking of AF lock aquisition. I find the D300 51 pt 3D focus very consistent, rock soild in fact with AF in general and aquisition is good on the 2-4 and even better with Prime lenses.

Dont take this advice personally since I have never even met you obviously, I am just trying to help :)

If you are getting inconsistent accruracy results maybe try a new technique, when the image is OOF dont take the picture, just lift and re-aquire AF lock. If it drops again, re-aquire. Dont press the shutter unless the image is tack sharp in the viewfinder. I lead workshops year round and co-lead for Arthur Morris year round as well and people that complain about new DSLR AF are usually the same people that shoot like paparazzi, they squeeze the trigger when the bird comes into view and will not lift until the bird is long gone. In the same amount of time they have taken 50 images I have taken maybe 4 images.

Robert

Jeff Wear
04-05-2008, 06:06 PM
I find that locking on when tracking --not consistent almost nonexistence</I> but have not</I> used 51pt3d and the reason is I have not been out shooting just bifs in open sky .When I used 51 with any background =very bad results . Af at a distance bif or stationary has mixed results .I am not a machine gun shooter ,I also track and refocus but even this does not give me the results I will get with the d200 .After the camera came back from Nikon the 3rd time my over all is much better but the distance focus looks good in view finder but bad at home .
I use 9 point almost all the time say 90% for action and mixed background . I use the 500 f4 80% time and I have not been able to go shooting enough to really tell but the last time out it was slow to focus but this I write off to me for the time until I can spend a day out shooting in all dif. light .I do not take this personally if I knew everything I would be shooting a canon -that was a joke . Thanks for the feed back . I know that Harry loves the 51 point but for the places I shoot it would make shooting anything else not so easy . I just thought of something I was wanting to ck for dust bunnies and tried to af on the clouds ,would not do it ???? I was shooting hummers and forgot about it till just now . This camera will be going back for it's 4th and final trip to nikon but not until I have a full day to shoot really try a few more things . Thanks Robert

Fabs Forns
04-05-2008, 06:28 PM
I was using the D300 today, with the 300/2.8 on full focus, 21 points, dynamic, working on hovering Hummingbirds, and it worked like a charm. Not a big fan of 3D here.

Jeff Wear
04-05-2008, 07:13 PM
Fabs was this with lots of background or more clear with them hovering above ??? I have not tried 21 as of yet

Fabs Forns
04-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Lots of background and flowers and mesh etc...

Harry Behret
04-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Jeff if you look at my response here (#8) you'll see that I like 51 points in only certain situations and I have yet to find any circumstances where the 3D has been useful.

Jeff Wear
04-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Harry I thought that was something you said in the other forum --I have had no luck with 51 and the 3d I feel the same .sorry did not go back and reread all posts again .Fabs thanks I will give 21 a shot also the hummers are all around right now

Jim Fenton
04-06-2008, 02:05 PM
A) Nikon personally has advised 51 point 3D in the sky...personally I think it s*cks in anything except perfectly blue skies. If there are multiple targets it's useless, if there are clouds it will often jump to them and if the subject dips out of the sky and a background becomes present and you can forget about the shot. Have you folks tried shooting it with a subject flying along the surface of the water? Don't waste your time.

B) I find the D300's AF to hunt badly on subjects in the sky (this is consistent tr hough five bodies and meets the same observations of many shooters I've spoken to). The subject can be white, brown, black gray whatever...when you combine the slow acquisition and inability to quickly lock without hunting, often times, the subject is locked.

C) As far as :machine gunning" ...I don't. I use the AF-On button and may re-acquire several times while tracking in order to maintain AF...however, try doing that on a loon or a ring neck duck flying by...the actual time in the viewfinder is mere seconds.

D) I shot a D2Xs loaner this weekend, which is CAM 2000. The D300 is supposed to be the new and improved CAM3500. I can tell you without a doubt, that based upon my experience shooting both cameras extensively, the older CAM2000 both acquires and locks much faster and easier, especially with low contrast targets.

E) The D300 woks just fine on static subjects.

F) I proved it to myself again yesterday, just using gulls for target practice. Inside about 25 yards they are a piece of cake. Out past 25 yards, the camera I'm shooting (I'm for the most part actually not shooting it until they figure out how to fix it), the modus operandi is to hunt past the subject to infinity, then hunt inboard and then MAYBE attain a lock...just about the time the subject is leaving the prime image position or even flying out of the frame itself.

Robert O'Toole
04-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Jim dont take this the wrong way but are you using an AF point and placing it on something with contrast when you attemp to AF or are you just pointing. I know this quesion might sound silly to many people but you would not believe how many people shoot Nikon Dynamic or Canon 45 point not knowing this. Also do you have the tracking fast or slow?

My D300 AF experience is very different, I find AF against sky, water, BG, accurate and quick. No hunting at all. BIF close, far, full frame, more than full frame.

Robert

Mike Gallo
04-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Jim dont take this the wrong way but are you using an AF point and placing it on something with contrast when you attemp to AF or are you just pointing. I know this quesion might sound silly to many people but you wound not believe how many people shot Nikon Dynamic or Canon 45 point not knowing this. Also do you have the tracking fast or slow?

My D300 AF experience is very different, I find AF against sky, water, BG, accurate and quick. No hunting at all. BIF close, far, full frame, more than full frame.

Robert

Robert, I have two D300's and find the focus as you do, it's as good or better than my Canon Mark 2N

James Shadle
04-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Jim,
Here is what I have experienced 50,000 frames in.

"A) Nikon personally has advised 51 point 3D in the sky...personally I think it s*cks in anything except perfectly blue skies. If there are multiple targets it's useless, if there are clouds it will often jump to them and if the subject dips out of the sky and a background becomes present and you can forget about the shot. Have you folks tried shooting it with a subject flying along the surface of the water? Don't waste your time."

I prefer 3D 90% of the time. From my experience so far ,it actually preforms better in situations that cause other AF systems to fail.
It is my AF function of choice when photographing flying birds in front of mangroves or other high contrast backgrounds.

Now I do go to 21 point for BIF across smooth water. I have the custom function set so all I do is press and roll and the AF setting changes. Just that fast.

"B) I find the D300's AF to hunt badly on subjects in the sky (this is consistent tr hough five bodies and meets the same observations of many shooters I've spoken to). The subject can be white, brown, black gray whatever...when you combine the slow acquisition and inability to quickly lock without hunting, often times, the subject is locked."

If I hit my target, using Nikon's Dynamic AF, starting with the center sensor and "handing it off" to 51 point 3D, I have experienced no hunting!
Now if I miss that can be a different subject.

"C) As far as :machine gunning" ...I don't. I use the AF-On button and may re-acquire several times while tracking in order to maintain AF...however, try doing that on a loon or a ring neck duck flying by...the actual time in the viewfinder is mere seconds."

The AF- On button can be difficult to use at high frame rates when trying to re-acquire focus.
I use the shutter button, however I have found that I need to re-acquire focus less than I used to and trust the 3D tracking more.

I have used 3D AF successfully on many bird species so far including Oyster Catchers,
Falcon, Ducks Tree Swallow etc.

"D) I shot a D2Xs loaner this weekend, which is CAM 2000. The D300 is supposed to be the new and improved CAM3500. I can tell you without a doubt, that based upon my experience shooting both cameras extensively, the older CAM2000 both acquires and locks much faster and easier, especially with low contrast targets."

After 200,000 +/- shutter actuations with a D2X and now 50,000 between 2 of D300s,
I have to say I could not disagree more strongly (from my experience):)

"E) The D300 woks just fine on static subjects."

I agree !

F) "the modus operandi is to hunt past the subject to infinity, then hunt inboard and then MAYBE attain a lock."

Jim,
What AF mode are you starting with. If the sensor is on the subject and the subject has enough contrast it will not hunt.
Hunting is caused by AF actuation with nothing in front of the sensor.

Are you starting out in Auto-Area AF?

Just my experiences with the 2 D300's I own and that 3 of my close friends have.

All of us with no problems. I hope this gets figured out for you.

James

Jim Fenton
04-07-2008, 04:24 AM
I guess I need one which works like yours does :)

Again, Saturday I shot both the D2Xs and the D300 and at least on the D300 I have...the Xs simply blows it away relative to initial acquisition and AF speed. I will say that if and when the D300 AF does lock, it tracks much better that previous Nikon AF systems.

First...My AF parameters are AF-C, CH, 7fps, release set to release + focus, lock on set to OFF unless I'd be shooting terns or something flying into grass or a BIF which might fly across a distant background. In the sky, I shoot single point if my subjects are close enough and large enough, 9 point otherwise if there are clouds or multiple birds, and 51 point non 3D if there is absolutely no clouds and only a single subject.

I honestly can't fathom how you folks are using 51 point 3D on moving subjects. A number of us who live close by have tried it and found it quite honestly to be useless as the points jump all over the place and frequently, especially if a background or water is involved, focuses on the background.

I don't simply point the camera at the subject and expect it to find it. I frequently shoot single point and I think I'm pretty adept at placing the single reticule on the intersection of the birds shoulder / neck and doing my best to keep it there.

Between 5 that continually shut themselves down and lock up and the AF on this body...it's a good thing they sent me a D2Xs loaner.

I'm really wondering...what serial # ranges are you folks in? I'm at 30264XX.

Blake Shadle
04-07-2008, 08:42 AM
I've just passed 1000 shutter actuations on my new D300. I couldn't be happier. I'm amazed at the AF. I have a similar experience to my dad, except on a smaller scale ;) If I'm using a lens that can AF, I'm using 51 points 3D continuous focus. I just tried the dynamic point for single focus over the weekend, and that's pretty dadgum cool too!

monte stinnett
04-10-2008, 11:19 PM
I've had the same issue on my D3 where the battery shows dead but it isn't. Appears to be a problem with contacts. I usally clean them with a pencil eraser and that fixes the problem for a while, but still it happens to often. That is with and without my teleconverter.

James Shadle
04-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Monte,
Be careful with an eraser. You can and will take the gold plating off!

This is a better solution:"
"I cleaned all of the contacts, especially the contacts were the battery pack fits to the body.
I used Deoxit, available from Radio Shack."

Are you using OE or aftermarket batteries in the D3?

Greg Forcey
04-11-2008, 10:32 PM
Does anyone know the difference between 3D and non-3D mode, and why would you use one over the other? The user manual is ambiguous as usual.

Robert O'Toole
04-12-2008, 01:51 PM
Here is the quick answer, there is quite a bit of material on the web covering this subject.

The D300 and D3 use a 1005 pixel RGB AE sensor. This sensor is used for AE, AF and even white balance and is the only camera brand to offer this. In 3D mode the AF system uses information from the RGB sensor. It uses face/shape and scene recognition in addition to color information to make AF decisions. This can help with AF tracking as it will use color to recognize the subject and differentiate it from the BG. Canon and all the other AF systems do not have any system like this. They can only process B&W contrast to AF.

When you get some free time here is a huge list of D300 links (http://www.psyche.com/psyche/links/miscellaneous2.html#D3_D300)

Robert

robert hazelwood
05-09-2008, 10:57 AM
I too am having the dead battery indication when I tried to use a Kenko TC with my 18-200mm zoom. One or two shots and screen goes blank and dead battery indicated.

Robert Hazelwood

Jim Fenton
05-09-2008, 11:23 AM
I suppose I should give an update here.

A) 5th body had the same issues and Nikon provided the option to repair / replace / refund.

I opted for a refund specifically because I was willing to try one last time and decided that I wanted to purchase my own, rather than getting another older serial# replacement again.

I therefore purchased two bodies from my dealer...both in the 3125XXX range for serial #'s.

I've had but a very short stint with one of them and had no battery issues and the AF performed substantially better than anything I've had to date.

Nikon has said nothing to me relative to either the dead battery or AF issues other than they are aware that for some photographers, this has been an issue and that they were confident that they would get to the root cause at some point in time.

In direct response to your situation...I know of 2 photographers who have been advised directly by Nikon not to use Kenko TC's.

Jim Fenton
05-09-2008, 11:27 AM
While Robert is correct in his explanation, it should be noted that this mode is fine tuned for color recognition of human skin tones.

Direct correspondence with Nikon advised that this mode will work with wide open skies, but it should not be utilized with any sort of background when shooting BIF shots.

It also slows the AF / frame rate a fair bit, probably due to the amount of processing occurring.

The D300 does not have the same AF processing capabilities that the D3 has.

Blake Shadle
05-09-2008, 11:36 AM
While Robert is correct in his explanation, it should be noted that this mode is fine tuned for color recognition of human skin tones.

Direct correspondence with Nikon advised that this mode will work with wide open skies, but it should not be utilized with any sort of background when shooting BIF shots.

It also slows the AF / frame rate a fair bit, probably due to the amount of processing occurring.

The D300 does not have the same AF processing capabilities that the D3 has.

Nikon doesn't know their own product very well then ;) I've tracked BIF in front of red mangroves without a single problem, very fast and very accurate. Sure, every once in a while you'll drop focus to the BG, but if that upsets someone, maybe they're expecting a little too much from their camera.

Jim Fenton
05-09-2008, 12:17 PM
If you've done this is 51 point 3D AF then you absolutely have a camera that's entirely different than any of the bodies which I've shot....that's for sure.

Consensus among those whom I know personally agrees with 51 point 3D being pretty much useless against backgrounds....unless you want something other than your subject in focus.

Maybe it's them big slow moving birds you folks are privy to down there ;)

Phil Seu
05-09-2008, 12:39 PM
I am really curious about how the Shadles get the 51 point 3D AF to work. When i read in a recent BAA bulletin that this was their recommended mode for BIF, i went out and tried it. all i got was the sensor bouncing around and trouble staying locked on the subject. since their results speak for themselves, i figure i am not using the mode properly.

phil seu

Jim Fenton
05-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Set up the tripod....find a scene with a big rock or something in it and not a breath of wind.

Activate the AF in 51 point 3D and watch the focus bounce all around the screen...with no subject moving anywhere.

It does work for me...albeit much more slowly relative to AF in a bright blue sky with no clouds and no chance of multiple targets. If my subject goes in front of any type of background, be they distant clouds or something ground based...forget it.

Now....51 point non 3D is a different story and while it's not great in background situations as compared to single, 9 or 21 point, it is much more reliable than the 3D version.

I'm not at all convinced that subject size / proximity to subject doesn't have something to do with what they reported.

Blake Shadle
05-09-2008, 01:20 PM
That sounds terrible. I just took my D300 with the Tamron 70-300mm attached to it and pointed it out my office window and focused on a Ford Escape's headlight. I have AF-C activated and 51 point 3D. It just sits there. If I move my camera to the left, the AF sensor adjusts to stay on the headlight. I move my camera to the right, the AF sensor adjusts to stay on the headlight.

Jim Fenton
05-09-2008, 01:49 PM
I want your D300 Blake :)

Honestly...a group of us were out shooting lamenting how useless the 51 pt 3D is for BIF (based on out observations up here in the Northeast) and I kiddingly pointed the 500 across the river at a rock...a rather stationary rock. We all took turns watching the hot reticule bounce around the viewfinder as the rock moved back and forth...so fact that we couldn't even see it moving!

Now...I will tell you, that this was in AF-C. If we switched to AF-S, then the rock and associated focus reticule stood absolutely still.

The good news is as that so far, the new bodies I have do not hunt or get stuck at infinity on nothing like the previous ones did. I'm a bit jaded by past experiences, so time will have to prove to me that they'll stay this way. I'm hoping that by having now acquired bodies some 100,000 unit serial#'s past the last ones I had in my possession, that perhaps I've gotten away from the ones which were giving me all the trouble.

Blake Shadle
05-09-2008, 02:47 PM
I'm hoping that by having now acquired bodies some 100,000 unit serial#'s past the last ones I had in my possession, that perhaps I've gotten away from the ones which were giving me all the trouble.

My D300 SN is in this range also: 3014XXX

One important thing is to continue to use good flight photography technique while you're out in the field. Just because you have a camera that can do some fancy tricks, don't get lazy ;) I say that because I found myself doing that a few weeks ago and had to snap out of it.

Also, you may need to make some adjustment to custom setting a4 (Focus tracking with lock-on). Changing this setting to "Long" may help. What this does is, in case the sensor drops off your subject, maintains the previous AF point for a longer period of time.

Robert O'Toole
05-09-2008, 05:23 PM
If you've done this is 51 point 3D AF then you absolutely have a camera that's entirely different than any of the bodies which I've shot....that's for sure.

Consensus among those whom I know personally agrees with 51 point 3D being pretty much useless against backgrounds....unless you want something other than your subject in focus.

Maybe it's them big slow moving birds you folks are privy to down there ;)

Since Nov 2007 I have been using 51 point 3D for 95% of all my photography without any problems. Most, not all, but most fellow Nikon D300 owners I know use 51 point 3D and are getting more than satisfactory results.

Robert

Nancy A Elwood
05-11-2008, 10:52 AM
My D300 SN is in this range also: 3014XXX

One important thing is to continue to use good flight photography technique while you're out in the field. Just because you have a camera that can do some fancy tricks, don't get lazy ;) I say that because I found myself doing that a few weeks ago and had to snap out of it.

Also, you may need to make some adjustment to custom setting a4 (Focus tracking with lock-on). Changing this setting to "Long" may help. What this does is, in case the sensor drops off your subject, maintains the previous AF point for a longer period of time.

I do not think the "Long" setting is very good, especially if the subject is moving towards you. I tried it yesterday and most all my shots with that setting came out OOF. I set mine back on "short" and all was well. I was reading Thom Hogan's book on the subject and he does not recommend that setting for moving objects for then the camera would not keep up with the subject, especially if the subject is moving towards you.

Robert O'Toole
05-11-2008, 11:10 AM
Hi Nancy

My D300 a4 setting is set on 'long' and normally I can track a medium sized bird, duck or goose, until it is larger than full frame and the AF keeps up.

Its my experiance (I am a full time photographer-no day job) that a setting of short will allow the AF to drop the subject and pick up another object such as the background more often.

THogan is a good source of information, I enjoy his writing, but I wouldnt agree with this if the quote is correct.

Robert

Nancy A Elwood
05-11-2008, 08:01 PM
Hi Nancy

My D300 a4 setting is set on 'long' and normally I can track a medium sized bird, duck or goose, until it is larger than full frame and the AF keeps up.

Its my experiance (I am a full time photographer-no day job) that a setting of short will allow the AF to drop the subject and pick up another object such as the background more often.

THogan is a good source of information, I enjoy his writing, but I wouldnt agree with this if the quote is correct.

Robert

Hi Robert. Well, I tell you, I will be out with James on his boat Tuesday and I will try the different settings and see. Maybe it was the bad contrast on the particular subject I was trying to get or I was not very quick on the draw, so to speak. I will let you know and I hope I get some great opportunities!! Really looking forward to meeting James and getting lots of great images!:D

Robert O'Toole
05-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Hi Nancy,

You will enjoy your trip with James, its always a blast. Let us know what you find out if you try different settings.

Robert

robert hazelwood
05-12-2008, 12:33 PM
Jim
Just got back from returning my D300 to the Ritz where I bought it. Manager did not give me any problems with the exchange, and he knew about the problem. Will keep you informed of what my luck is with new unit.

Bob

David Hufford
05-16-2008, 07:13 AM
I have noticed exactly the same thing with mine. On a tripod and with no changes in anything except touching and releasing the AF button it changes focus point each and every time. It seem to be quite good at actually avoiding the subject.

Robert O'Toole
05-16-2008, 08:24 AM
I have noticed exactly the same thing with mine. On a tripod and with no changes in anything except touching and releasing the AF button it changes focus point each and every time. It seem to be quite good at actually avoiding the subject.

For the AF system to avoid the subject you did not lock on the subject with the active AF point so you are not using AF properly. With Dynamic AF you aquire AF with the point you have set, the center is default, and if you move the camera so that the subject moves the AF will track the subject.

This link will jump to a good series of D300 tutorials: http://www.nikondigitutor.com/eng/d300/index.shtml

FYI a negative first post like this one looks a little fishy, you may not have an agenda, but if you posted this message on a site like dpreview you would be considered a troll and get flamed for 3 hours.

Robert

Nancy A Elwood
05-16-2008, 09:03 AM
For the AF system to avoid the subject you did not lock on the subject with the active AF point so you are not using AF properly. With Dynamic AF you aquire AF with the point you have set, the center is default, and if you move the camera so that the subject moves the AF will track the subject.

This link will jump to a good series of D300 tutorials: http://www.nikondigitutor.com/eng/d300/index.shtml

FYI a negative first post like this one looks a little fishy, you may not have an agenda, but if you posted this message on a site like dpreview you would be considered a troll and get flamed for 3 hours.

Robert

Well, Robert I missed you the other day with James:). I thought you were coming out. But, anyway in the afternoon I tried this 51 point 3D and I was amazed at how it works. Obviously it does not work for all things but I kept it on for most of the time to see how it works, with James working with me. The results can be seen in the birds wild and free section, one spoonie I posted yesterday and one I will post later today, a spoonie. I had a GREAT time with James!!!

Robert Amoruso
05-16-2008, 09:40 AM
Its my experiance (I am a full time photographer-no day job) ....

Robert

Actually you do have a day job, it is full-time photographer.

Robert O'Toole
05-16-2008, 05:42 PM
Well, Robert I missed you the other day with James:). I thought you were coming out. But, anyway in the afternoon I tried this 51 point 3D and I was amazed at how it works. Obviously it does not work for all things but I kept it on for most of the time to see how it works, with James working with me. The results can be seen in the birds wild and free section, one spoonie I posted yesterday and one I will post later today, a spoonie. I had a GREAT time with James!!!

Oh good to hear :)

Glad you enjoyed the trip and got a chance to practice with 3D AF. Wish I could have joined the trip also!

Thanks for the update.

Robert

Desmond Chan
07-07-2008, 02:55 AM
Jul 6: I found out that my slowly Fujifilm S5 that I got more than a year ago actually out-focused the D300 I just bought in late June. :)

I was sitting in a chair, D300 with Tamron 17-50 f2.8 in my hands, trying to focus the top part of the back cover of Ansel Adams' book "The Negative". The book was lying in a bed, not flat but leaning against a pillow and so the book was about 30 degrees off the bed. Focal length used was 50mm and the book was about 4 ft from the camera. With the D300 and using the center sensor point, the lens simply hunted again and again and couldn't lock on to the few lines of words that were on the back cover. I tried both the S and C, single point and dynamic area modes. There simply was no "beep". Since I selected "focus" instead of "release", the photo could be taken.

Then I took out the S5, put the lens one and did the same thing. "Beep", the S5 was able to focus on those lines of words and I was able to take a picture of the book.

The S5 has a D200 body and uses the same AF system of a D200. The D300 supposedly has a better AF system and it could not focus on what a S5 could??

Later on, I put the 105 f2.8 VR macro on the D300. Now it could focus. But so could the S5.

A few hours ago, I was out trying to do some shooting. This time I had the 200-400 on the D300. A few shots later. The camera refused to focus. I tried turning the camera back on and off, adjusted the buttons on the lens and cameras, etc. Nothing could turn the focus back on again. It seems to me that after the focus hunted for a while, it got stuck and couldn't get back to normal. Then I changed lens to see if it was the problem of the lens or the camera. At first the focus seemed to work, then it got stuck focusing nowhere again. After I went back home, I put the 200-400 on the S5. And everything worked fine. Put the lens back on the D300. At first it seemed OK. After some hunting, the focus stuck again.

One of the "tests" I also tried after I got back home was to try focus the 200-400 on a mountain through the horizontal blinds in front of a window. Again, the D300 hunted but the S5 was able to get a lock-on.

Bad copy of a D300 I got?

Well, at least it is not the 200-400 that has the problem :)

Oh, S5 is made in Japan, FWIW :D

allanrube
07-07-2008, 08:38 AM
I had the same problem Desmond and sent the camera to Nikon service. They did a clean, adjust, and all is working fine now.

Desmond Chan
07-07-2008, 11:13 PM
So I took the camera back to the store. They gave me a replacement ( within their policy anyway). Crossing my fingers :)