PDA

View Full Version : Purple Finch.

Daniel Cadieux
05-20-2011, 04:59 AM
Believe it or not, despite this species being common enough this is my first image of a Purple Finch!:S3: Perch a little thicker than I normally would have preferred, but I like the weathered texture, and I like the bird's parallel pose at the same angle.

Canon 30D + 100-400L @400mm, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/1000s/. f/6.3, ISO 400 (settings histogeam checked after test image on setup), natural light, almost FF.

Randy Stout
05-20-2011, 07:00 AM
Daniel:

Lovely lighting here, sharp, agree about the perch, but it is at least an interesting thick stick!

Agree about the repeating diagonal lines working well.

Only minor wish would be for a sliver more DOF to keep the entire perch sharp.

I could see moving him the slightest bit to the right.(Ok, I guess that is another minor wish :t3)

Presents very well.

Cheers

Randy

zethar zethar
05-20-2011, 08:09 AM
Nice pose with clean BG. I like the reds in the perch complimenting the color of the bird!

Joe Senzatimore
05-20-2011, 08:16 AM
Beautiful color in the bird and the BG. Yes the perch is a bit large , but I don't think it hurts this one. Too much good going for it.

Steve Maxson
05-20-2011, 09:09 AM
Hi Daniel. Looks like you nailed this one! Very nice light, color, pose, sharpness, comp, and background. The size of the perch doesn't bother me. Well done.

Bill Dix
05-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Lovely shot. Agree about the parallel pose. Great image to show the diagnostic reddish back; I sometimes have trouble between the House Finch and Purple Finch, but this makes it clear. Perch may be oversized, but interesting enough to make it work nicely.

Stu Bowie
05-20-2011, 09:50 AM
Great IQ Dan, and you have captured a great pose. I do like how the pose follows the perch. Excellent sharpness all round, and you have brought out the colours so well. Great BG too. Well captured.

Kaustubh Deshpande
05-20-2011, 12:02 PM
Daniel, I know I've said it before...but u r the best when it comes to shooting small birds with 400mm. This one's really well done...the pose, comp, exp, sharpness, BG...excellent in every way.

John Guastella
05-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Just a lovely image, with excellent detail and color and perfect position of the bird. I don't mind the perch at all. My only nit: the dark patch in the BG starting from the bird's breast and curving up towards the bill is a bit of a distraction.

John

Sidharth Kodikal
05-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Very nice image. Superb light, sharpness and details. Nice bg too. I would've liked a very slight head turn.

Jim Crosswell
05-20-2011, 04:21 PM
Beautiful image Daniel! I like the exposure, sharpness, details and BG.

Katie Rupp
05-20-2011, 05:15 PM
Daniel, I know I've said it before...but u r the best when it comes to shooting small birds with 400mm. This one's really well done...the pose, comp, exp, sharpness, BG...excellent in every way.

Agreed! You are living proof that it's the photographer, not the equipment that makes great images.

gail bisson
05-20-2011, 06:46 PM
Hi Daniel,
I have been shooting this bird today and thought it was a purple finch but now I'm not so sure...it may be a house finch. Back to the books.
Your picture is lovely. great exposure. Nice BG and perch and body line up to give a nice diagonal.

Hendri Venter
05-22-2011, 04:19 AM
I like this Dan. Nice pose and detail. Bird pops nicely from the BG too.