PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Falls Watkins Glen NY

Ed Cordes
05-18-2011, 10:04 PM
This is one of the famous falls in Watkins Glen Gorge in the Finger Lakes Region of NY. I made the image last weekend just after the gorge opened to the public for the season. It really has a tropical feel to it.

1D4 with 17-40 @ 17mm. Evaluative metering at EV + 2/3 and F10 with 1/6 sec. ISO 800. I used a polarizer. The usual view is a vertical of which I have several. I decided to post the more un traditional horizontal view to give a sense of scale.

Thanks for looking. Comments most welcome.

Robert Amoruso
05-19-2011, 08:36 AM
Ed,

Good thinking on being unconventional. Nice to see the sides of the gorge. I also like the shutter speed chosen. I do find myself wanting to see more below. Perhaps a stitched horizontal image would be something to try out.

Rachel Hollander
05-19-2011, 08:49 AM
Ed - nicely done. I agree with Robert on the ss, nicely blurs the water. This brings back memories of my years in Central New York (Ithaca and Syracuse). Interesting how narrow this gorge is compared to most of the gorges in Ithaca.

TFS,
Rachel

Dave Mills
05-19-2011, 09:12 AM
Hi Ed, Nice job handling the composition. Good option by Robert pertaining to the veritical.
I played with the image as if it were mine in order to give you other ideas. I did a few things. First I filled in the green foliage in the backround, Next I did a mild S/H and levels adj to bring out the contrast. Robert has a good technique for this posted elsewhere. I then wanted to increase the saturation but not effect the greens. I selected them and inversed it. Finally I used a light burn on the water. Curious to know what you think...

I tried to upload the repost 4 times and couldn't do it at this time after checking all the specs...

THIS WAS A CHALLENGE...FiNALLY GOT IT TO POST

Ed Cordes
05-19-2011, 01:18 PM
Hi Ed, Nice job handling the composition. Good option by Robert pertaining to the veritical.
I played with the image as if it were mine in order to give you other ideas. I did a few things. First I filled in the green foliage in the backround, Next I did a mild S/H and levels adj to bring out the contrast. Robert has a good technique for this posted elsewhere. I then wanted to increase the saturation but not effect the greens. I selected them and inversed it. Finally I used a light burn on the water. Curious to know what you think...

I tried to upload the repost 4 times and couldn't do it at this time after checking all the specs...
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Dave, I sent you a PM.

Ed

Roman Kurywczak
05-19-2011, 01:38 PM
Hey Ed,
I do like the unconventional look. The shadow areas are a bit blocked up.....so it will be interesting to see what Dave came up with. An HDR or exposure blend would work IMO.......might be something you may want to try out next time there for comparison.

Ed Cordes
05-19-2011, 03:24 PM
Dave the repost look great. Thanks. Roman I have not had good luck with HDR. Some day I will get dedicated software for this. PS doesn't do it correctly IMHO.

Indranil Sircar
05-19-2011, 08:04 PM
Wonderful image, Ed. Love the unconventional look. You got a good DOF with f10.

dankearl
05-21-2011, 06:58 PM
A well composed and interesting photo I think.
Dave's repost is an improvement as far as contrast and saturation and especially what he did at the top of the frame above the falls with the foliage, but your comp made the image.
Nice work.

Harshad Barve
06-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Wonderful image and framing here
TFS

Andrew McLachlan
06-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Ed, this is a wonderful image. Love the gorge walls and the addition of the bridge is a nice touch. Dave's repost took care of my suggestion to remove the white sky.

Ed Cordes
06-17-2011, 06:06 PM
Thanks so much everyone. Gail and I are just on our way home from Machu Picchu in Peru and the Galapagos in Equador and have been out of cyber contact until today. I really appreciate the honor and must admit to being surprised by the IOW selection

Thanks again.

Ed

Andrew Merwin
06-17-2011, 06:30 PM
I like this image as presented. I grew up in Corning & Elmira and this image is a really neat reminder of my family's many visits to Watkins Glen.
TFS