PDA

View Full Version : Barred Owl

Anita Rakestraw
03-26-2008, 04:33 AM
Got lucky Tues. and was able to locate and photograph a few bird species besides sparrows,robins, and juncos. I was especially pleased to spot an owl - they are rarely seen around here during daylight - and this is the first ever wild owl I've photographed, so I'm excited even though it's not perfect. I did clean the bg of a clutter of branches, and cloned a couple twigs that were overlapping onto the owl. Critiques welcome! (I see an area of sky that needs smoothing.....how come can't I see some of this stuff before I upload????!)

Photographed 3/25/2008 handheld with 1D Mk III
100-400mm IS @ 380
ISO 400
f/5.6
1/3000

Alfred Forns
03-26-2008, 06:39 AM
Hi Anita Congratulations are in order finding these guys is not easy s

Did great with this one Only soft light could have helped you I think I would turned it into a vertical to minimize the tree? As presented might also increase the contrast with a sight curves adjustment I like it a lot !!!

I lighten the owl a bit and increase the contrast This would work a lot better on the original file Remember to give the exposure compensation I think this one was under a bit !!!

s

Gus Cobos
03-26-2008, 07:03 AM
Very nice Owl Anita,
Congrats on the capture, like Al said, he is not an easy subject.. I like the colors...:D

Anita Rakestraw
03-26-2008, 02:31 PM
Thanks, guys! I wondered about the crop (the big branch was a little overwhelming.) Exposure comp was 0; I increased it to +1 when I converted it. I'm phobic about blowing out highlights (-: and usually shoot a little underexposed if anything....must start practicing Artie's exposure recommendations....I'm such a newbie at this.....but hey, at least the HAP won't get me on this one!

Gary "Jake" Jacobson
03-27-2008, 10:34 AM
Great capture Anita! I know how exciting it was for my first owl image. Pretty tough light, but you did a nice job with the light you had to work with. I like Alfred's vertical crop. Nicely done.

Lucky for me I found a Great Horned Owl nest not too far from my house. I am hoping to get some images of the baby owls in a few months.

Anita Rakestraw
03-27-2008, 02:02 PM
Thanks, Jake. Yeah, it was 4 p.m. on a nice sunny day; had he/she not been in a wooded area where the light was somewhat filtered, it would have been harsher. You are so lucky to have found that owl nest! I'm eager for your future photos of them!!