PDA

View Full Version : Roadrunner & Grasshopper

Alan Murphy
05-18-2011, 11:35 AM
Greater Roadroadrunner & Grasshopper

Workshop: Laguna Seca Ranch, S. Texas

D3, 600, ISO 800, f13, 1/800, -0.3 EV.

Here's one from my recent workshop at the Laguna Seca Ranch in South Texas.
A few Roadrunners would make frequent visits to our small pond in front of our blind. This guy came in and would bow down and call, hoping to find a female. They like to have an offering to give to a female in case one should respond to his call. Note how the bare patch of skin behind the eye would saturate with color when he would call. Can't wait to get back there next year.

Bill Dix
05-18-2011, 11:49 AM
Wonderful capture, Alan. Exquisite detail. Interesting about the patch behind the eye. Sibley shows the color, but doesn't mention that it becomes saturated when he calls.

John Guastella
05-18-2011, 12:10 PM
Beautiful image, Alan. Excellent BG, as typical for your photos. The grasshopper in the bill - with its head facing out and that one long antenna arcing toward the bird - really makes the shot. There are a few extra catchlights, though, that I would remove if the image were mine (and I wish it was!).

I used to spot roadrunners regularly here in Orange County, CA. But I haven't seen one in years. There has been so much development since I moved here in the early 90s that I think lot of their habitat has been destroyed.

John

Alan Murphy
05-18-2011, 12:22 PM
Beautiful image, Alan. Excellent BG, as typical for your photos. The grasshopper in the bill - with its head facing out and that one long antenna arcing toward the bird - really makes the shot. There are a few extra catchlights, though, that I would remove if the image were mine (and I wish it was!).

I used to spot roadrunners regularly here in Orange County, CA. But I haven't seen one in years. There has been so much development since I moved here in the early 90s that I think lot of their habitat has been destroyed.

John

Hey John, thanks. The extra (lower) catchlight is from the sun's reflection in the pond. Totaly natural, but distracting at the same time. Many would leave it, but I usualy take them out. I just forgot.

Dumay de Boulle
05-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Awesome IQ and the textures and exp are fantastic...Love the catch!

Steve Wasson
05-18-2011, 03:23 PM
Outstanding image, Alan! I don't have a problem with the extra catchlight.

gail bisson
05-18-2011, 03:27 PM
Wow Alan! This is my favorite shot of yours to date. The BG is beautiful but the perfect sharpness of the bird and insect just make this shot.

Tommy Rodgers
05-18-2011, 06:36 PM
Really nice capture. Nothing to critique about this one. It just plan good. Now, if I could get you to answer my email about St Paul Is. I would be a happy guy.

Alan Murphy
05-18-2011, 08:06 PM
Now, if I could get you to answer my email about St Paul Is. I would be a happy guy.

Huh? Send it again as I don't remember seeing it.

Daniel Cadieux
05-18-2011, 09:03 PM
Very cool portrait Alan! I love the ruffled feathers and the grasshopper. Thanks for the info on the behaviour witnessed too.

Jeff Dyck
05-18-2011, 11:15 PM
Fantastic (per usual) Allan. Everything about this shot is excellent - great background, great pose, great job capturing that patch behind the eye, razor sharp, prey item, etc. Well done sir!

Hendri Venter
05-19-2011, 11:49 AM
I have to agree with above comments. The IQ is so good. Fantastic portrait Alan.

Stu Bowie
05-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Exquisite IQ Alan, oodles of detail, and an interesting fact about the area behind the eye. I do like that BG, and his catch a bonus.

Chris Kotze
05-19-2011, 02:07 PM
WOW super detail and pose. Excellent image

RakeshDhareshwar
05-20-2011, 02:17 AM
Sooper sooper details here !!