PDA

View Full Version : GROUND HORNBILL with snake.

Neil Roux
05-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Took this pic last week in Kruger Park,SA.A male hornbill caught this snake and gave it to this juvenile.Was swallowed quickly...

Canon 50D.Bigma lens.SS 1/200.F8,+0.7 Exp Compens.ISO800.My first post here.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_4lS6un8hkyk/TdPgVVZWpNI/AAAAAAAAAG0/6ZO8zbejvKw/s720/GROUND-HORNBILL.jpg

Kerry Perkins
05-18-2011, 08:00 PM
Hi Neil, big warm welcome to BPN! Nice image to start with - interesting bird and nice action captured. The sun was (literally) not on your side for this one, would have been a better chance to bring out those details if they were not in shadow. You did a good job with the exposure under the circumstances but the bright background is distracting attention from the subject. Did you have canvas on the bottom? I'm thinking it would be nice to see the whole snake, or I should say all that is left of it! Thanks for sharing and I look forward to more from you.

Ken Watkins
05-19-2011, 03:45 AM
Hi Neil,

I do not normally look much on this forum, but saw your title and could not resist.

You obviously had none to helpful light, and there is not often you can do much about it especially in a park where off roading is not allowed.

I would also like to see a little more of the snake if you have it.

Neil Roux
05-19-2011, 04:52 AM
Thanks Kerry,Ken.No Kerry I unfortunately do not have extra canvas on the bottom.I use a window mount with a gimbal head and unfortunately I couldn't tilt anymore down(mount is slightly too high).

Yes Ken,Kerry the sun was abit harsh but it was a sighting I just HAD TO capture.Thanks for your guys comments so far.

Joe Brown
05-19-2011, 03:01 PM
Welcome to the form Neil.
Considering the conditions this is a very good capture of a great looking bird. You were very fortunate to catch him with the snake.

I couldn't help playing with this a bit. Hope you don't mind.
I've added some canvas at the bottom and created the tail of the snake. I also added some fill light and dodged the bird while toning down the bg a little. Finally I've applied some sharpening.
I know the changes aren't great but it gives you some options you could consider

Joe

Neil Roux
05-19-2011, 03:14 PM
No I dont mind Joe.WOW Joe this is incredible!U did an AWESOME job.Love it.Quite incredible the different look.Thanks Joe.U must teach me some stuff.I am a beginner with Photoshop...