PDA

View Full Version : Hooded Plover

Paul Randall
05-18-2011, 01:55 AM
Hooded Plover (Charadrius rubricollis)
Bellarine Peninsula, VIC, Australia

Always a pleasure to photograph this species as they are quite rare. This is a juv. bird and the "hood" has not yet turned black. I liked the seaweed in the BG as it gave a sense of scale so I included it all rather than cropping further. Let me know what you think :c3:

All comments welcome:S3: Paul

Canon 5D 600mm f4 L (non IS) +1.4 TC iso 400 1/1600th f9.0 CW metering at +0 handheld and rested on sand
Photoshop- slight sharpen of features

Paul Randall
05-18-2011, 01:56 AM
Beach is sloped by the way so no need for rotation:t3

Tom Rambaut
05-18-2011, 03:02 AM
Nice capture of a species I've not seen that often.

Rotation - If your camera is level and it it the ground that the bird is standing on that is sloped is this ok? This has puzzled me.

You may have been able to go + 1/3 on the EV.

Stu Bowie
05-18-2011, 07:11 AM
Lovely soft light Paul, with a good low perspective. I also like the pastel colours in the BG. A sloping FG/BG will always be difficult to get the right balance, but the plover looks fine in his stance, so in this, I would leave as is.

Ofer Levy
05-18-2011, 07:26 AM
Sharp with nice detail. Awesome shooting angle and eye contact too. Not crazy about the seaweed as it is a bit distracting being so black in such a pastel coloured image.

Hendri Venter
05-18-2011, 10:09 AM
I agree without the seaweed it would be perfect but other than that a very good image of a bird not often seen.

Alan Murphy
05-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Love the low angle and seaweed.

Dumay de Boulle
05-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Gorgeous low angle and the detail is superb...Lovely soft pastel colors!

Phil Ertel
05-18-2011, 04:09 PM
I also like the soft colors and light. The bird is nicely pose and your low angle displays it very well. I think the seaweed adds to the image. The in focus bit of seaweed transitioning to out of focus helps draw my eye to the bird. I do however understand the option of not having the seaweed in frame. Both presentations would work in my option. If anything, I might try cropping a little off the bottom but, not so much as to eliminate all of the light brown strip.