PDA

View Full Version : Double Calla II

Mitch Haimov
05-18-2011, 12:06 AM
Canon EOS 7D, Canon 180 mm macro. Manual focus and exposure (ISO 100, 1/10 sec at f/3.5 and 4.0 sec at f/22). I blended two exposures, using the f/22 image for the three petal edges and the f/3.5 for everything else. Then I applied the Orton effect to a flattened composite overlaying the original image and reduced opacity on the Orton composite to 75%. My first time using the Orton effect.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2391/5732701326_039f13845d_b.jpg

This is the same double calla lily as in my post of a two days ago; based on the comments received on that image, I went to do the same desaturation as on the repost for that image but found that I really didn't like the results in the soft areas. Same for an attempt using selective color. Ultimately, I used curves on the L and b channels in Lab mode (curves on R and B channels in RGB worked well for yellows but gave the reds a magenta cast).

Roman Kurywczak
05-19-2011, 01:43 PM
Hey Mitch,
I like the colors and I also like the orton.....but comp wise for some reason the lower half seems out of place to me......not sure why. I am wondering if it is that I want a bit more up top for balance?.....let's see what others chime in.

OvidiuCavasdan
05-19-2011, 02:53 PM
Nice colors and texture but the lower part doesnt work for me...I think because of the darker tones...

bhavya joshi
05-19-2011, 08:48 PM
hi Mitch.. another nice composition.. nice lighting and color, lower half not look properly to me also..:2???

Mitch Haimov
05-19-2011, 08:59 PM
Thank you all for the input. Interestingly, it is not what I expected: It works well compositionally for me; the third petal edge LR mirrors the one above it and adds interest. What I don't like is the tall, narrow strip along the lower half of the right edge. I'm also not crazy about the shadow LL and I wish I had placed something better for a BG LL rather than letting it go dark. But the most objectionable part is that strip LR. Could these be the reasons the lower half doesn't work for you as well, rather than the composition? Thanks again for taking the time to comment!

Nick Palmieri
05-20-2011, 05:34 PM
I think I would like this image better if it were sharp throughout. I like the colors and composition. In my opinion, not the type of image I would apply the Orton effect to...Agree with your own critique in pane 5. Keep working the Calla's, they are fun flowers to shoot.

Steve Maxson
05-21-2011, 11:30 AM
Hi Mitch. Nice colors and I like the comp of the sharp petal edges. I haven't used Orton so I can't comment on that. You have already noted the 2 things that aren't working as well for me - the dark LLC and the OOF and somewhat dark strip along the LR edge. :S3: You might be able to crop some off the right, but too much will mess up the comp.

Anita Bower
05-21-2011, 01:00 PM
Interesting processing--combining sharp and less sharp images. Most creative of you. The image doesn't work for me--too bright, too much out of focus. Did you try having all of it sharp?

Roman Kurywczak
05-22-2011, 09:48 AM
I do think it would work better w/o the LR being OOF. Worth exploring!

Brendan Dozier
05-24-2011, 10:39 AM
Mitch, this image has some great rich color and texture to it. I like the lighting, but the L side may be just a bit bright. I think you have a point about R side. I might be inclined to simplify the comp more by cropping most of the OOF portion on R side, and down from top, about 1/2 inch to just after the intersection. To me that makes the darker LLC part work better. This one seems to have a lot of different possiblities and solutions, the more you look at it. :S3: