PDA

View Full Version : Orchard Oriole

Jim Crosswell
05-17-2011, 05:11 PM
This was taken at my backyard setup. All C&Cs are appreciated and welcome.

Canon 40D
500L f/4
1.4 Extender
ISO 400
f/6.3
1/100s
Tripod

gail bisson
05-17-2011, 06:59 PM
Hi Jim!
What a funny pose! It looks like he is trying to do a gymnast's front split! The composition is lovely and the BG yummy and very complimentary to the birds colors. Tack sharp and lovely feather detail. Some might not like the OOF tail but I am OK with it!
Gail

Tom Rambaut
05-17-2011, 07:09 PM
I like the whole legs perch interaction that you have here. Lovley detail in the bird and I would guess that a bit of fill flash would have helped here also - with the lighting appearing to come from the left side. I'm only starting to use flash and my results...well next.I'm not sure if I would take off a bit of the bottom?

Randy Stout
05-17-2011, 07:57 PM
Jim:

Great fun. This is a fine perch, just the right scale for him, with the V at top, and angle below.

I think you got about as much DOF as possible with the light you had to work with.

Fill would have been a option as Tom mentioned, but I think because the light is so soft here, it presents well as is.

For my taste, the composition is excellent, I like him up in the corner.

Cheers

Randy

arash_hazeghi
05-17-2011, 09:50 PM
I don't think this image needs any fill at all, light is just beautiful and uniform flash will makes it worse by introducing specular reflections and screwing the beautiful color balance.

The pose is very cool espeically with one foot on each branch.

Excellent!

Stu Bowie
05-18-2011, 07:27 AM
I know where to find my next catapault:w3 Cool fork in the perch, and you have done well with the exposure on the colours. Lovely soft light and pastel colours in the BG.

Bill Dix
05-18-2011, 09:18 AM
Terrific pose, perch and background. Great detail, and lighting looks fine to me as is.

Hendri Venter
05-18-2011, 10:33 AM
Nice pose on the forked perch with good detail and nice clean BG. Well done.