PDA

View Full Version : Black-Tailed Hare (a.k.a. Jackrabbit)

Ian Cassell
05-16-2011, 10:00 PM
These guys know how to use those ears and dash off at the slightest noise ...

Canon 7D
Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L
1/1000sec f/8 ISO 400 HH

Levels, sharpening, cloned some offending twigs in CS5

John Chardine
05-17-2011, 04:15 PM
Hi Ian- I really had never realised how big their ears were. Amazing. Evolutionary theory dictates that they must be used for something else as well as hearing (e.g., thermoregulation). They are just too big.

Nice action of the animal walking/hopping towards you. Lovely warm tones and the sun behind you and to the left is lighting up the subject nicely.

I thin you could push the sharpness more in this image. Give it a try.

Ian Cassell
05-17-2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks, John. Yes, the ears are huge and are for thermoregulation (like the fennec fox). I'll go back and sharpen some more.

Joe Brown
05-17-2011, 06:02 PM
Impressive capture. Excellent detail, sharpness and exposure. Considering that it is a 800px image on my iMac it looks sharp.

My comment relates to composition and the central placement of the hare. I would have placed the animal more to the right and slightly higher in the frame.

Those ears sure are big. We also have jackrabbits here in Ontario where it is not near as hot as AZ. ??

Joe

Kerry Perkins
05-17-2011, 07:57 PM
Great capture Ian! While these guys are pretty common in our neck of the woods it is unusual to see one this close and casual. I just love the "oh, it's you..." look that it is giving you and those fuzzy feet. Good job with the exposure in the bright sun!

Chris Ober
05-23-2011, 09:52 AM
Only thing I can think to add is the green vegetation directly behind distracts a little I think. Nice capture.

Evolutionary theory dictates that they must be used for something else as well as hearing (e.g., thermoregulation).

Brakes :)