PDA

View Full Version : Black Bear yearling

Jamie Douglas
05-16-2011, 08:25 PM
As some of you know I have been spending time following the local Black Bears and documenting my encounters through my blog. Last Thursday evening was awesome, I spotted two yearlings that I have only seen once before and it appears they have been booted out by mum and are now fending for themeselves. I took this shot from the flat bed of a kind local's truck.

Techs: 400MM @ F5.6 // 1/60 // ISO1250, Canon 7D with 400MM F5.6 L, tripod mounted (I could have done with a 300mm f2.8 for this encounter)

Photoshop work includes: White balance adjustment and removal of distracting twigs.

C&C welcome.

Thanks

Jamie

Read about the encounter here: http://jmdouglasphotography.blogspot.com/<!-- m -->

Russell Johnson
05-17-2011, 05:42 AM
Great POV here Jamie. The blade of grass across the nose does not really bother me.

The vegetation makes the bear feel like a concealed animal, and you are getting a small window into his world.

Robert Amoruso
05-17-2011, 07:08 AM
Jamie,

I think you framed the image nicely, though I would have preferred more room at the bottom for the virtual feet.

I find the blade of grass at the nose distracting however.

Ken Watkins
05-17-2011, 09:18 AM
Cannot help but agree with Robert, but being someone who has the problem of "pesky" grass/twigs on a regular basis I can understand the problems.

Grant Atkinson
05-17-2011, 01:29 PM
Nice image Jamie, agree with the ask for a bit more room below, but nice feel to the shot, like the tree trunk covered with lichen.
tfs
Grant

Steve Kaluski
05-17-2011, 01:44 PM
I was hoping you might post this one Jamie. :S3:

A very natural setting here Jamie and can't help thinking of the bears roaming around the slopes near the Roundhouse. :w3

Would agree that the image does need some more space at the foot, however the tree is a nice feature, but can't help feel that perhaps waiting a second or two you might have had more of a head turn, towards camera, thus avoiding the blade of grass, but then, you might have missed getting anything.

Look forward to more. BTW where was this taken, not downtown Van? :bg3:

cheers
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
05-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Jamie, nice to see you posting here! :w3:5

I love bear images and this one is quite nice, though I find myself agreeing with my fellow mods and BPN'ers on the blade of grass (what can we do? :e3) as well as the tightness at the bottom.

Please do post more!

Jamie Douglas
05-17-2011, 09:26 PM
Thanks guys, I wish someone had mowed the grass ;) Morkel :5

I went back to this location this evening in search of a Sow and young cub and also looked at the location again for better angles after I read the feedback here during my lunch today. While I agree the blade of grass is annoying I couldnt have done any better given the bushes and bad light in this area. The yearling was also not cooperating and suprisingly didnt at all bothered that I was there. My top priority was to confirm the Sow was no longer with them because she is big.

When I got this shot last Thursday I showed up on my mtn bike and these two crossed the road and went into the field so I had to grab my gear and at the same time determine how to approach them (thats when the local offered me his flat bed), he arrived just as I got set up. This area is all is under trees so very poor light and I got three shots of this guy by the tree and this was the only keeper, the 1st was blurry, 2nd was the one above and the 3rd was framed better but now there were 2 blades of grass over his face. Cloning might do the trick though but the expression was better on this one. I should have taken my 70-200 because they were too close to the road for the 400mm and I lost time getting into position before they got into darker shade and more distracting bushes.

Thanks guys. This is my fav shot to date and hopefully they keep improving. You'll certainly see more.

Jamie