PDA

View Full Version : Common Blue Damselfly (teneral)

Jonathan Ashton
05-16-2011, 11:15 AM
Tripod & Mongoose 3.5 head Canon 50D Canon 180mm macro ISO 400 1/125 sec f8
Despite the lousy weather I managed to grab a few shots in the breeze, this is my first this year.

All C & C welcome.

Mitch Haimov
05-16-2011, 05:04 PM
Very nice subject and BG in soft light, Jonathan. Lowering the camera to the damselfly's eye level would have made the image more intimate. You may want to consider throwing a curve at this one to increase the contrast.

Jonathan Ashton
05-17-2011, 02:43 AM
Mitch, thank you for your comments, I agree a lower angle was desirable - but alas impossible, the tripod legs would have disturbed the grass.
I have already increased contrast and to be honest it is already a little OTT compared to reality, the damselfly was quite subtly coloured and the blacks were not black at all. I am with you in so far as I wanted to make the image more impactive but I still wanted to stay somewhere near to relaity.

bhavya joshi
05-17-2011, 08:59 AM
Nice full body you get..and with nice sharp.. but i think if you take more close up.. with full body it will be better..because head is not properly seeing.. to me., overall it is nice shot.:S3:

Roman Kurywczak
05-17-2011, 11:04 AM
Hey Jonathan,
I actually like everything yo ugot here.....except the crop. I know you prefer the FF.....but if you scroll with the browser.....eliminating 1/2 the space below the damsel.....I feel the pano comp is stronger as it accentuates the body. Just some food for thought and looking forward to another great season from you!

Jerry van Dijk
05-17-2011, 01:34 PM
Hi Jon, good to see you finally got one! I would have taken the camera off the tripod to be able to get lower! That curved leaf would have made a great leading line through the frame.
Lovely BG and I like the subtle colors of an overcast day. Although the images seems a little washed out at first glance, the black are actually quite nice and deep. It might help to tone down the leaf a little.

Jonathan Ashton
05-17-2011, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the C&C everyone. I doubt I would have obtained a sharp image if I had taken the camera off the tripod, I must admit I was tempted. Regards the crop, I appreciate what has been said, again I nearly cropped before submitting but I liked the arch of the blade of grass.

Steve Maxson
05-18-2011, 12:55 PM
Hi Jonathan. You're off to a good start for the year - looking forward to more. :S3: Nice job getting the focal plane perpendicular to the damselfly to get good overall sharpness at f/8. I like the even light, the background, and the curving grass blade. Cropping is always rather subjective and the comp works, as presented, but I think the image would be even stronger using Roman's crop suggestion. :S3: Well done.