PDA

View Full Version : Any Port in the Storm

Cheryl Slechta
05-15-2011, 02:40 PM
I've finally gotten organized enough to work on another macro image. This was pretty much straight out of the camera although I cropped out the top and bottom. The original was pretty much ROT but the bottom was OOF (f5.6) so I decided on a square crop.
Canon 30D, Canon 100mm macro, 1/100sec,f/5.6, ISO 200, tripod.
Comments and suggestions appreciated.:S3:

Mitch Haimov
05-15-2011, 10:37 PM
I like your whimsical composition--good job spotting the unusual. Nice juxtaposition of lines, textures, and colors. Sweet BG. If wind wasn't an issue (I'm guessing not or you wouldn't have gotten away with 1/100 with this subject at this magnification) I would have tried a smaller aperture for more DOF, but it does work well as is.

Jonathan Ashton
05-16-2011, 06:51 AM
Yes it works for me I really like the colours - you appear to have trimmed the end of the seed hairs off I wonder how it would have looked if you had not??

OvidiuCavasdan
05-16-2011, 11:20 AM
Well seen, nice colors and good bg, the seed is sharp. The oof bud on bottom is a bit distracting. I do like tight frames...but I think I would like to see the hairs completely...or going closer and getting the seed more off center...

Adrian David
05-16-2011, 01:26 PM
Excellent capture!
Beautiful combination of sharp and OOF elements, with nice pastel colors!
Well done!

Roman Kurywczak
05-17-2011, 10:45 AM
Hey Cheryl,
I'm not normally a huge fan of shallow DOF.....but I am really liking this one. I would add room to the right and left.....just a touch so it isn't quite as tight. I would then explore adding some back at the top to see if that works also. I do believe adding a quarter inch or so to the right and left will help......not sold on the top myself.....but worth exploring. Very nice find and well done!

Steve Maxson
05-18-2011, 11:28 AM
Hi Cheryl. Love the sharpness and texture in the seed. The soft light, the interesting colors of the surrounding flowers, and the clean background make this one work for me. There are a number of interesting comp suggestions above for you to explore. :S3: