PDA

View Full Version : Common Loon

Andrew Merwin
05-15-2011, 02:28 PM
I shot this image on an urban irrigation lake that migrating loons sometimes use as a rest stop before continuing their migration. It was shot within an hour of sunrise.
Mark IV, ISO 400, f/5.6, 1/1250, 0ev, 700mm. It is FF.

Steve Kaluski
05-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Hi Andrew, long time no see, but great to see this posting.

Although viewing on laptop so cannot really comment on colour, but might suggest a pano crop on this one perhaps? However, your processing/composition has come on so much IMHO.

Well done, great to see how things have change, big congrats. :5:5:5

Steve :w3

Kerry Perkins
05-15-2011, 02:49 PM
Hello Andrew, always nice to get a loon - they are interesting subjects for sure. The image feels like it needs a slight CCW rotation. Composition-wise, I would crop a bit from the bottom as you don't need the room down there. Would be nice to have a bit more contrast on the bird and there is a slight blue cast - most apparent in the shadows. I had a difficult time understanding this fact about early morning/late evening light - the highlights will be very warm of course, but the shadows contain a lot of blue! Nice job getting the capture.

Jeff Cashdollar
05-15-2011, 04:09 PM
Great job getting light on the eye - very important. Was it a 500 with 1.4, nice use of TC if so. I like the evening color (can always play with color balance here) but would crop off bottom about an inch below head shadow - nice capture. Did you hear their call?

Andrew Merwin
05-15-2011, 06:23 PM
Thanks very much for your suggestions & comments. I certainly agree about the crop & the slight CCW rotation.

Yes, 500+1.4 & yes he/lshe yodeled for me as if to say good morning. I love hearing loons.

I was at the lake today & the loon has already moved on.

Steve, a special thanks to you since you have been helping me since the beginning.

wendell westfall
05-16-2011, 11:57 AM
I like, Andrew . . . and agree with Jeff's crop suggestion.

gail bisson
05-16-2011, 06:49 PM
Lovely shot! I would definetely take some off the bottom. There is a bright area in front of the eye. What is it?
gail

Andrew Merwin
05-16-2011, 07:15 PM
Lovely shot! I would definetely take some off the bottom. There is a bright area in front of the eye. What is it?
gail

If you are asking about the area between the eye & bill, I think it is simply a gradation in the loon's coloring.

Doug Robertson
05-16-2011, 09:29 PM
I love loons. I think a little more contrast would help this already excellent shot.

Dick Huberty
05-16-2011, 09:33 PM
Andrew, thanks for posting a picture of my favorite bird. I was up to the lake in northern MN this past weekend and was so happy to see the pair of loons back that we have had in our bay for the last three years. They nest on a little island out in front of our cabin. I always have to have the window open to listen to their calls at night. When i can find a little time out from fishing and cabin work, I will get my camera out to get some more shots of this bird.
I like the light on the loon. There seems to be a problem with its bill.

Dick Huberty

Andrew Merwin
05-16-2011, 10:09 PM
Thanks Doug. I will add a little more contrast to see how it looks.

Dick, there is water on his bill. The white is light reflecting of the water on the bill & there is a large water drop hanging from the bottom it his bill. I used to live in MN. The warbling loons on the northern lakes have frequently kept me awake all night! :S3: :bg3: