PDA

View Full Version : Just passing by...

Steve Kaluski
05-15-2011, 04:29 AM
Inspired by recent postings, I thought I would pop this one in. Couldn't resist the 'eye level' POV. :bg3:

Not the one I was going to post Hilary, that will keep. :w3

Steve
MKIII 500f/4 1/400sec f/8 ISO100:eek: (HH,FF) early afternoon in the Mara
RAW conversion, exported, converted in NIK to B/W, Tritoned in PS, levels, curves, slight USM

Vivaldo Damilano
05-15-2011, 06:03 AM
I like the image Steve, He/She passing by adds to the image quiet nicely. IMO the image needs more contrast but this is personal taste. I like the eye contact of the seated giraffe TFS:cheers:

Ken Watkins
05-15-2011, 08:47 AM
The foreground Giraffe sitting down looks OK but the one in the BG mars the overall effect especially as it is directly behind the youngster, if had been to one side or the other this could have worked?

peter delaney
05-15-2011, 08:50 AM
i really like the simplicity of the image .. the conversion needs the subtly provided by the tritone...

Morkel Erasmus
05-15-2011, 04:43 PM
the conversion needs the subtly provided by the tritone...

sorry for asking Peter...but I'm struggling to grasp what you were saying here? :2:e3

Steve, a nice perspective...good depth and POV...although I love contrasty toned images, I think the BG contrast is competing with the giraffe upfront...maybe try and reduce BG contrast (especially the OOF giraffe) to boost the "pop" factor of the one in front? :t3

Hilary Hann
05-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Steve, the toning you have used here works really nicely. I like the youngster's pose. If I were to make an improvement in camera (if possible), I would have had the background giraffe moving from right to left, i.e. going the other way, and not crossing behind the sitting one. It would have given you 2 diagonal compositional lines, the adult from top left to middle right, and the sitting giraffe going from bottom left towards middle right but without intersecting. Whilst not possible, obviously, I think that the wow factor of that small change in composition would be amazing.

Morkel, I think what Peter is saying is that the tritone which Steve has used has provided the subtlety which this image needed, having been shot in the harder afternoon light. The tritone has softened the harshness. At least that is what I think he may have been implying?

I'm one who really likes these kinds of images, with added depth from the background giraffe adding interest. Morkel's suggestion regarding BG contrast might work well in this image, worth trying.

Steve Kaluski
05-16-2011, 03:08 AM
Interesting Vivaldo, you think it needs more contrast perhaps & Morkel thinks the BG should be reduced slightly in contrast. :S3:

The BG objects give you the tones and personally I think if the BG was reduced you would lose the three tier feeling, BG giraffe walking, main giraffe, but may take a look later. I think Hilary you have answered Morkel's question, thanks.

Hilary I can see what you mean as the young giraffe would give you a vertical line being on the LHS juxtapose to the walking in giraffe offering a diagonal option. Good to have some options.

BTW I have taken the decision when posting an image like this never to include the colour version as a comparison, as I feel if this is how it should be presented then it stays that way. :S3:

Steve

Hilary Hann
05-16-2011, 03:15 AM
BTW I have taken the decision when posting an image like this never to include the colour version as a comparison, as I feel if this is how it should be presented then it stays that way. :S3:

Steve

I agree 100% with this decision, it is one I also made a while ago.

Steve Kaluski
05-16-2011, 04:09 AM
This was the original one I was going to post, but felt the other Giraffe added more interest.

Ken Watkins
05-16-2011, 04:48 AM
Steve,

What a strange decision:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2

Hilary Hann
05-16-2011, 04:59 AM
Steve, in my opinion both images are really nice giraffe portraits but serve different purposes. Personally I would not delete one to keep the other, I would use both but differently. I must say that I like the particular toning you used on the OP, really soft and delicate. The b&w production is quite different on the second giving the giraffe a crisper look. The dark horizon line cuts across the giraffe's head in the 2nd one whereas it is broken by the adult walking in the 1st which I like. IQ in both is excellent, as we would expect.

Steve Kaluski
05-16-2011, 06:09 AM
Hilary, both are Tri-toned, I just changed one colour, the blacks (Warm + Cool greys) are both the same.

I do think the second one has a cleaner/crisper appearance, but probably down to the tones/colour tint.

Hilary Hann
05-16-2011, 06:48 AM
Steve, very interesting to compare the difference in the toning then. I'm leaning towards the 1st image, not that you asked us to give a preference!:S3:

Robert Amoruso
05-16-2011, 06:53 AM
Steve,

I agree with Ken, the BG one intersecting the head of the FG one is distracting and hinders the image.

Your second post, the original one works best.

Rachel Hollander
05-16-2011, 07:24 AM
Steve - I prefer your second image. I too feel that the placement of the oof giraffe in the op detracts a bit. I think Hilary's suggestion for comp would have really improved the op.

TFS,
Rachel

John Blumenkamp
05-16-2011, 12:05 PM
Hi Steve... really nice tones and overall feel to these images. Nice work.

Pieter de Waal
05-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Hi Steve of the two images I prefer the second but like the concept and idea of the first. Certainly has created some discussion and interesting points of view.