12mm
iso200
Nikon D7000 w/ nikkor 10-24mm
CP w/ ND gradient filter used.

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af332/dkearl/DSC_5403-1.jpg

Robert Amoruso
05-16-2011, 06:31 AM
Dan,

Interesting rock face and the slow shutter speed made a good blur of the clouds with that blur acting as leading lines from the top of the image to the rock face.

In the FG I feel it would have been preferable to include more the the dead snag on the left (good leading line pointing towards the rock face) and gotten the diagonal line of the FG slope completely in the image (also would have gotten a better bottom terminus of the right side tree).

As you have to tilt the lens up, you have distortion of the vertical tree. In my repost I correct that distortion in PSCS5 as well as sharpening the image as it appears soft in the OP.

Dave Mills
05-16-2011, 11:45 AM
Dan, Robert's brightening of the image is an improvement. I also agree on the continuation of the diagonal base. Due to it's merge and busy nature I'm not a fan of the dead snag in the foreground...

Roman Kurywczak
05-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Hey Dan,
Robert did improve the OP but I have to agree with the FG comments above. In situations like this it is often difficult to isolate things. Consider this for next time out in the field.....before you push the shutter......compose as you would above.....then turn the camera vert. That would have allowed you to include the entire snag.....probably eliminate the tree on right (even if you had to take a few steps left) and get more of the lovely sky in. Even if it wouldn't work.....it makes you think about comps more!

dankearl
05-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Thanks all for the comments.
I agree, Roberts is a better version.
Always learning.

Morkel Erasmus
05-17-2011, 03:30 PM
some good pointers above - this looks like a super location to wait for the perfect sunrise/sunset light :)

a vertical would've been a good option - nice clarity throughout the image though