PDA

View Full Version : Who's your daddy?

Tin Man Lee
05-14-2011, 11:26 AM
Hello all,

This photo was taken near the Lake Blue Cypress boat ramp in Vero Beach, Florida last week at the Osprey Heaven workshop, on our instructor Jim Neiger's boat.

It was near the end of the morning session. We were trying to photograph red-shouldered hawks and barred owls when this osprey on our right was circling the sky above the perched black vulture. The osprey circled lower and lower and suddenly hit the black vulture, grabbed a few feathers and flied away. (In the next few frames, the osprey talons were full of black feathers... must be pretty painful for the vulture) It must be a pretty nice perch, as within a few minutes, the perch has changed owners from a red shouldered hawk to a black vulture then to the osprey and then the red shouldered hawk again.

In the photo, the osprey was looking up as he's trying to lift, and both talons were on top of the vulture. I don't know but he looked quite confident, thus the title of the photo.

I found out that at that moment of impact, both of their eyelids were closed. I asked Jim why and he said if he suddenly punch me in my face, I'd close my eyes too.

Almost full frame. Cropped from horizontal. The original bottom part felt a bit too tight so I added canvas near the bottom. Added the bottom part of the tree branch from another frame (thankfully i had other frames I didn't delete). Used nik Viveza2 to bring out some details. CS5 for sharpening.

Canon 1D Mark iV, 500mm f4, f6.3, 1/2000s, ISO 500, handheld.

C&C Welcome!

Tin Man

arash_hazeghi
05-14-2011, 11:56 AM
amazing behavior, the ospreys are really aggressive towards their enemies!

Daniel Cadieux
05-14-2011, 04:35 PM
Wow, I've never seen such behaviour from ospreys!! Awesome image overall, I just wish the vulture and perch were as sharp as the osprey but I do realize you were likely panning the osprey, and I would lighten the near wing (as well as negate what appears to be a greenish cast on it). Very cool.

gail bisson
05-14-2011, 07:14 PM
Tin Man,
Aren't you full of surprises!!I didn't know you got this one. This is a terrific action shot. Great PP work but I agree about the greenish cast.
The osprey's talon is almost touching the vultures eyeball. well done,
gail

Tin Man Lee
05-14-2011, 10:54 PM
Thank you all for your comments.
Thanks Daniel for the green cast comments. It helped a lot and looked a lot more natural after I decreased the green value now. Thank you thank you! I like it a lot better now.

For the sharpness, you are probably right. The osprey was in focus and was sharp, but the vulture and the branch was a bit blurred. I never understood why 1/2000s couldn't freeze it. Maybe it was due to my panning.