PDA

View Full Version : Prairie Storm

Paul Marcellini
03-25-2008, 07:01 PM
Went out to the Everglades the other day hoping the storm would produce a good sunset. It did, I just didn't go west enough. I also forgot my shoes, thinking they were in the back of the Jeep, so I got to hike in flip-flops. Luckily this was mainly muhly gras and not sawgrass.

I initially went bw but the color has grown on me now.

Thanks for looking,
Paul

http://i32.tinypic.com/348ghgw.jpg

Robert Amoruso
03-25-2008, 07:18 PM
I like the intense storm and the FG framing. You are getting to be a real pro Paul at these vertical compositions with strong FG and BG elements. Good job. My one small nit would be that one palmetto in the middle ground, left side that is touching the frame - a very minor nit though.

Paul Marcellini
03-25-2008, 07:53 PM
Thanks Robert. You made me realize the majority of my landscapes are in portrait orientation. Maybe that should be the name of a series, "Portraits of the Everglades".

Yeah that one sabal was a pain. It was also a problem in some other comps I tried. I didn't want to clip the edge of the foreground palmetto by shifting.

Roman Kurywczak
03-25-2008, 08:44 PM
Hey Paul,
I prefer verts to horizontals...............if I can pull it off (which you have done here)..........I think they are more dramatic impact wise,
Roman

Alfred Forns
03-25-2008, 10:39 PM
Excellent Paul !!! Takes a special eye for these compositions and you have it !!! Particularly like the lighting and balance Love that dramatic sky !!! Big Congrats !!!

David Kennedy
03-26-2008, 01:00 PM
I'll echo Alfred: the drama of the scene comes through very well in your image. The palmetto on the edge of the frame (that Robert mentioned) is a little bothersome in light of the otherwise neatly controlled frame. I don't think it would be too difficult to excise from the image.