PDA

View Full Version : Smack-dab in Wagtail World

Craig Brelsford
05-13-2011, 09:19 AM
The sight of the forest wagtail filled Old Money (a photographer friend of mine) and me with birding zeal. Old Money and I were on the dirt track running through the Magic Forest near the East China Sea in Yangkou, Jiangsu. While Old Money collapsed the legs of his tripod, I outflanked the wagtail by going off-road through the forest. I reached my position and hit the dirt. Like infantrymen, Old Money and I closed in from opposite ends. At a distance of about 15 m I stopped crawling. The wagtail was moving my way. At 11.9 m, the bird took a short flight. I captured the first full downbeat. Dendronanthus indicus is a bird of East Asia. As the name implies, forest wagtails spend most of their time in wooded areas, usually on the ground. A flight shot of one is no common achievement, if I may say so. By lying on my belly and striking, snakelike, just as the bird took off, I've put you smack-dab in the wagtail's world.

Device: Nikon D3S
Lens: VR 600mm F/4G
Focal Length: 600mm
Aperture: F/5.0
Shutter Speed: 1/4000
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: +0.33
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 2500
Subject Distance: 11.9 m
Photoshoppery: Not much. Noise reduction on OOF BG. Sharpening of parts in focus. I decided on a strongly horizontal crop to eliminate the OOF foreground and to heighten the sense of lowness to the ground.

Craig Brelsford
05-13-2011, 09:23 AM
This photo illustrates how we did it. That's Old Money in the BG.

Stu Bowie
05-13-2011, 11:14 AM
Hey Craig, thanks for sharing your set up to get this shot. Well timed for the take off, with a good wing position. In pane #2, did the little guy take off from the position we see him at?

Randy Stout
05-13-2011, 12:20 PM
Craig:

Sounds like a well executed battle plan.
Pano crop was the perfect choice here. Like the full down wing position, kicked up foot,low shooting angle.

How big of crop here? Looks like a pretty small fellow.

Cheers

Randy

Craig Brelsford
05-13-2011, 08:09 PM
In pane #2, did the little guy take off from the position we see him at?

Hi, Stu. In answer to your question, not quite. But the situation was very similar.

Craig Brelsford
05-13-2011, 08:11 PM
Craig:

Sounds like a well executed battle plan.
Pano crop was the perfect choice here. Like the full down wing position, kicked up foot,low shooting angle.

How big of crop here? Looks like a pretty small fellow.

Cheers

Randy

Hi, Randy. I'm using about 50% of the frame here, maybe less.

EzhilSuresh
05-14-2011, 05:04 AM
Brilliant composition and a very helpful description to go with it. Really inspiring.

dankearl
05-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Nice and interesting shot.
I like the walking bird, would like to see a large shot of that.