PDA

View Full Version : Rose Breasted Grosbeaks

Joel Eade
05-12-2011, 08:14 PM
From my backyard setup...these migrate through Kentucky in the first week of May so there is only a short window of opportunity here to capture an image of them.
1DMKIII
Tripod
Manual exposure
Evaluative metering
300mm 2.8L + 1.4TCII
iso 1000
f/5.6
1/400
580EXII + Better Beamer ETTL - 2 2/3 stops

ACR and CS5, cloned out part of the bird feeder in the right lower corner

Harshad Barve
05-12-2011, 09:25 PM
very nice pose and details here on in focus bird
TFS

Dumay de Boulle
05-12-2011, 11:45 PM
like the perch and BG. Also the back branch is framing it nicely...My only nit would be that the bird in the BG is too OOF and dont feel it adds to the image at all. I dont think stopping down would have helped either as it may be a bit fer behind the main subject.

Stu Bowie
05-13-2011, 12:41 AM
Excellent exposure on the grosbeak in front, sharp where it counts, and I like his varied colours. I agree with Dumay that the top OOF Grosbeak doesnt fit in here.

Paul Randall
05-13-2011, 01:26 AM
I can see what you were going for here with the juxtaposition of the two birds but agree it hasn't quite worked in this one as the secondary bird is a little too OOF (in my opinion anyway). Keep trying with this idea though:w3

Randy Stout
05-13-2011, 07:31 AM
Joel:

I agree with the consensus, that the back bird isn't adding a lot. Generally a OOF bird in the BG works best if its position is parallel to the front bird. It would also have helped if there was more separation between the two.

Nicely done on the front bird, nice BG, largish but interesting perch.

We have Grosbeaks on the feeders right now as well, always a treat.

Cheers

Randy