PDA

View Full Version : Damsel

Carel v/d Sanden
05-12-2011, 04:16 PM
This picture was carved from a landscape picture.

Camera Model Canon EOS 7D
Shooting Mode Manual Exposure
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/8
Av( Aperture Value ) 10.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
ISO Speed 400
Lens EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM

http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/5643236/1024/Birdshoot/IMG-2085-juffer.jpg (http://nl.picturepush.com/public/5643236)

Jerry van Dijk
05-13-2011, 02:28 AM
Hi Carel, wonderful closeup! You made me very curious to the original 'landscape' image!
Somehow, it bothers me that the perch ends just before the end of the frame. It keeps drawing my eye away from the subject. You could cut off a sliver of the left side, but the risk is that the damselfly will become too off centered. The image looks a bit grainy (because of a large crop maybe?). You could try NR or surface blur on the BG to fix that.

thijs broekkamp
05-13-2011, 02:42 AM
Nice portret carel! Great colours, also in the background

bhavya joshi
05-13-2011, 09:22 AM
Great macro ..Carel..Nice details and BG.. good captured..:c3:

Mitch Haimov
05-13-2011, 11:36 AM
Sweet alien close up, Carel! How did you convince your subject to let you get so close while sitting still? Rather than cropping from left, I recommend using a quick mask to extend the perch out of the frame--looks like it would be easy to do a convincing job in this case. I like the fine detail in the face; you nailed the focus. The bokeh makes a great BG.

Steve Maxson
05-14-2011, 06:52 PM
Hi Carel. Outstanding sharpness on the (very small) head of this damselfly! I really like the eye-level, in-your-face look of this image. Jerry and Mitch have made some good suggestions for you to consider regarding the perch and background. I think these tweaks will make this already strong image even better. :S3:

Roman Kurywczak
05-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Hey Carel,
I like the idea of adding back a bit of room on the right.....feels a bit tight....even for me. Smoothing out the BG will be the final touch and make for a very cool portrait!

Ken Childs
05-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Hi Carel, this is a wonderful portrait! The detail on that tiny face looks great! I like the idea of adding a small amount to the right and you might also consider brightening this up just a bit....it looks dark to me. Overall this is very well done! :5