PDA

View Full Version : Semipalmated plover chick

D. Robert Franz
05-12-2011, 09:50 AM
From last summers bear tour. Took a break from bear when we found these little guys running around on the beach. I shot this handheld lying on the sand.

Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Shutter speed: 1/1600 sec
Aperture: 4
Exposure mode: Av
Exposure compensation: +1/3
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 250
Focal length: 500mm

Kaustubh Deshpande
05-12-2011, 11:48 AM
What a beautiful shot. Terrific composition with all that space. Works well for the 'little guy in the big world' concept. Loved the low angle, HA, sharpness and soft light. Well done.

Bill Dix
05-12-2011, 01:17 PM
Wonderful low shooting angle, great detail of this little fuzzball; nice color palette and lighting. A fine image.

Don Lacy
05-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Wonderful image beautiful colors and all the OOF elements give the image a dreamy effect.

Morkel Erasmus
05-12-2011, 03:11 PM
super cute, love the soft light and low angle.
I know your stance on cropping, so won't recommend going tighter :w3 that being said I quite like the space in this one, accentuates the vulnerability of the chick

Peter Hawrylyshyn
05-12-2011, 04:42 PM
shows your skill and creative thinking - excellent

denise ippolito
05-12-2011, 04:47 PM
Dale, I never saw one of these little ones. TFS . Great background colors and low shooting angle. Nice sharpness and I like that it still looks soft and fluffy!:S3:

Jim Fenton
05-12-2011, 07:45 PM
This is just special along with a great image creation...and since I will likely never get to go visit where these birds breed, I thank you for sharing such an exquisite image!

Patrick Sparkman
05-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Terrific shot. I like the low angle, soft OOF areas, sharp head, and good head angle. Normally side, or back lighting is bad, but it helps accentuate the fluffy down.

Arthur Morris
05-13-2011, 04:59 AM
As above :). Was this in Katmai? What was the date?

D. Robert Franz
05-13-2011, 07:32 AM
As above :). Was this in Katmai? What was the date?

Hey Artie,

This was taken on July 4th at Silver Salmon Creek in Lake Clark..

Best

D. Bob

Arthur Morris
05-13-2011, 09:53 AM
Thanks. I think that that is pretty south for that species. A single pair once nested on Cape Cod years ago, on Monomoy I think. That was amazing. With 500 alone you did a great job of getting close. Those little buggers usually run away fast.

Was David surprised or are they regular breeders at SSCr?

D. Robert Franz
05-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Thanks. I think that that is pretty south for that species. With 500 alone you did a great job of getting close. Those little buggers usually run away fast.

Was David surprised or are they regular breeders at SSCr?

Artie,

To be honest I really didn't know what species it was.. I got a couple of images of the adults and when I got home I keyed out the ID. My reference book shows the area as breeding range for the species.

Steve Maxson
05-13-2011, 05:11 PM
Hi Dale. This is an excellent photo for all the reasons noted above. It's just not a semi-palmated plover. :S3: The body shape and markings are not right for a plover. Here is a link to a (not very good) photo of a semi-palmated plover: http://www.flickr.com/photos/robin_corcoran/5361111276/

I think what you have here is a very young Arctic Tern chick (before they show the light belly and the pointy beak). :S3: This, of course, takes nothing away from your image which is very well done.

D. Robert Franz
05-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Hi Dale. This is an excellent photo for all the reasons noted above. It's just not a semi-palmated plover. :S3: The body shape and markings are not right for a plover. Here is a link to a (not very good) photo of a semi-palmated plover: http://www.flickr.com/photos/robin_corcoran/5361111276/

I think what you have here is a very young Arctic Tern chick (before they show the light belly and the pointy beak). :S3: This, of course, takes nothing away from your image which is very well done.

You may very well be correct... My book didn't show what the chicks looked like but I do know I was photographing Semipalmated plovers at the same time. Come to think of it there were terns nesting nearby as well. Funny though a few days later I was photographing A. Tern with chicks near Anchorage and they could allready fly???

Arthur Morris
05-13-2011, 06:37 PM
My gut says that this is not a tern chick.... Legs way too long. I think :).

Steve Maxson
05-13-2011, 06:56 PM
You may very well be correct... My book didn't show what the chicks looked like but I do know I was photographing Semipalmated plovers at the same time. Come to think of it there were terns nesting nearby as well. Funny though a few days later I was photographing A. Tern with chicks near Anchorage and they could allready fly???
Maybe these chicks were from a late renesting effort? - which could explain the large age difference between them and the other tern chicks you saw. Here is a link showing photos of Arctic terns - some of the images show young chicks which look quite similar to the chick in your photo. http://www.go2moon.com/ArcticTern.html

I have no doubt that you were photographing semipalmated plover adults at this site and I'm not questioning that at all. :S3: I didn't have much luck finding good photos of their chicks via google, but there are lots of images of piping plover chicks - their body shape (long legs, large head, etc.) would be very similar to that of a semipalmated plover chick. :S3:

Arthur Morris
05-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the link to the Arctic Tern chick images. For me they make me 100% positive that the bird in D-Bob's photo is not an Arctic Tern :).

Steve Maxson
05-13-2011, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the link to the Arctic Tern chick images. For me they make me 100% positive that the bird in D-Bob's photo is not an Arctic Tern :).

OK. So what then? The legs seem way too short for a plover chick - and the markings look very tern-like. :S3: