PDA

View Full Version : Serengeti Sunrise

Roger Clark
05-12-2011, 01:31 AM
In the central Serengeti this last February

1DIV, ISO 200, 1/8000 sec, 300 mm f/2.8 + 1.5x TC at f/22, manual exposure.

Roger

Robert Amoruso
05-12-2011, 06:24 AM
That is a killer tree to get the sun rising behind. Great colors and layers in the sky make for and appealing vertical image Roger.

Dave Mills
05-12-2011, 08:32 AM
Hi Roger, beautiful layered sky along with a well placed silhouetted tree. You caught the sun at the perfect moment being lined up nicely behind the tree. For my taste I might take off about 25% of the base.....

Roman Kurywczak
05-12-2011, 08:53 AM
Love the tobacco colors in this one Roger. Nice tree too. I'm with Dave on the base.....feels a bit heavy to me too but overall nicely done!

dankearl
05-12-2011, 07:40 PM
The sky is fantastic.
I also might take some off the base.
Very nice use of the telephoto lens to get a landscape shot.

Roger Clark
05-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Love the tobacco colors in this one Roger. Nice tree too. I'm with Dave on the base.....feels a bit heavy to me too but overall nicely done!

Dave, Roman,
When you say 25% off the base, what do you consider the base? I think you mean at the base of the tree below the sun where the image goes black.

"feels a bit heavy to me" what do you mean by that?

Roger

Dave Mills
05-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Hi Roger, what I meant was I felt there was a bit too much neg space at the bottom and I recommended taking a small bit(25% of it) off the bottom...
When Roman said "heavy to me" I believe he was saying it in a different way...

Andrew McLachlan
05-13-2011, 04:12 PM
Hi Roger, I love this one the way it is. Great colors in the sky and the big sun behind the tree is awesome. Nicely done!

Rachel Hollander
05-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Roger - great position of the tree and the sun behind it, spectacular colors. Well done.

TFS,
Rachel

Ken Watkins
05-13-2011, 11:36 PM
I am rarely a landscape photographer, but this to me is an almost perfect African sunset, I would not change a thing.:cheers:

Roman Kurywczak
05-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Dave, Roman,
When you say 25% off the base, what do you consider the base? I think you mean at the base of the tree below the sun where the image goes black.

"feels a bit heavy to me" what do you mean by that?

Roger
Sorry for the late reply Roger! Yes, I mean only the level base.....not including the tree top. As for a bit "heavy".......more unbalanced on the bottom because of the amount of black. That of course falls into the subjective area........but I do prefer the top color and tree with a bit less base. Hope this explained it.

Ed Cordes
05-18-2011, 10:09 PM
The usual presentation would have been a horizontal one. I like the fresh perspective of the vertical. At first I thought there was too much sky. However, the more I look at it the more I like it as presented. For my taste I like "the base" as is as it gives a good anchor to the lighter sky.

Brendan Dozier
05-20-2011, 05:03 PM
Beautiful composition, Roger! Nice work!