PDA

View Full Version : Backlit Leaf

Brendan Dozier
05-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Saw this leaf backlit at the lake while watching for birds. Didn't have my macro but gave it a try. ACR, CS5, NR on BG, cloned out a bit of other leaf on L, and some lighter spots in BG.

7D, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2.0x, handheld
1/320
ISO 800

C & C welcome & appreciated,

- Brendan

Mitch Haimov
05-11-2011, 08:50 PM
Very interesting subject, Brendan! Love the veins and the white perimeter--too bad it's folded under a bit at the tip breaking the outline. Maybe next time you can iron the leaf first? :bg3: I like the angled composition, but wish there was a way you could maintain that without having the start of another lobe (or whatever the proper term is) where the leaf exits the frame. But I wouldn't sacrifice the angled comp to be able to cut that off. Nice work.

Roman Kurywczak
05-12-2011, 09:41 AM
Hey Brendan,
I think you did very well w/o the macro! I love the backlight. I would either burn or paint in the rest of the rim light at the tip if you are OK with such manipulation........really would take it up a notch! Other than that....the comp works for me with a VG BG to boot! Very nice job!

Steve Maxson
05-12-2011, 01:44 PM
Hi Brendan. This one has a lot of eye-grabbing appeal! Great colors, terrific rim lighting, good sharpness throughout, and I like how this stands out against the dark (but not black) background. Very well done. :cheers:

Jerry van Dijk
05-13-2011, 02:40 AM
Hi Brendan, just wonderful! I like the light, the colors and the textures. Excellent complimenting BG as well. My only suggestion would be to add just a sliver of canvas at the bottom. All the distances of the other lobes (it is the correct term Mitch) to the edge of the frame are about equal, expect for this one. It would balance the composition (I'm a sucker for symmetry :w3).
My guess is that you wouldn't have pulled this of with your macro lens. Sometimes a zoom works much better, especially when you don't need too much magnification! I shoot most of my butterflies, dragonflies and big plants at 500mm. Art Morris produces some very fine macro's with his 800mm big gun!!

Anita Bower
05-13-2011, 06:34 AM
That is one psychedelic leaf! Wonderful, bright colors and details. Agree with Roman about the tip, if you can do it. Thanks for sharing.

Brendan Dozier
05-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Thanks very much for the comments and suggestions, everyone. I'll do a repost soon.

Andrew McLachlan
05-15-2011, 07:37 PM
Brendan, this is an awesome leaf. Love the colors and the backlit look.

Ken Childs
05-17-2011, 11:37 AM
Hey Brendan, this one rocks! The backlighting looks fantastic as do the colors of that leaf. Do you know what species this is? Jerry's suggestion of a bit more canvas on the bottom sounds right but when I did add a sliver, I quickly decided that your version looks better. Adding the white trim to the tip will take this one over the top! :cheers: