PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Canon Super Telephoto Lenses

Jim Neiger
05-11-2011, 10:11 AM
I took the plunge yesterday and placed an order for the new Canon 600mm F4. The price tag is around 12K and the delivery date is unknown. Anyone have any news on delivery dates for the new 600mm?

I'm keeping my 500m F4 lens and my 300mm F2.8 lens for now. I'm hoping to replace these with the 600mm and eventualy the new 200-400mm with the built in extender. Who knows when we'll see that lens, not to mention the unknown price. I'm guessing it will be about 10K.

Usualy when new versions come out, the old versions go down in price. This time I think the old versions will go up in price. New, old version lenses will not be available and the new versions are so much more expensive, that I think the price for the old 500mm and 600mm lenses will actualy go up. I hope so. That will help pay for the new lenses when I sell the old ones.

The new 600mm F4 makes the 800mm F5.6 obsolete, IMO. The only advantage that the 800mm had over the old 600mm, was weight. The new 600mm will weigh less than the 800mm, and now there is no advantage to the 800mm. I think the price for a used 800mm will go down a lot and I can't see why anyone would buy a new one unless the price drops big time.

What are your thoughts and plans for the super telephotos?

Doug Brown
05-11-2011, 10:42 AM
You know mine! :S3:

Julie Brown
05-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Hi Jim,

Any of the new super telephotos would be awesome to have, but I can't buy any of these lenses. I have noticed that the price of a new Canon 300 f2.8L IS (old version) has gone up $1000 on Amazon. I was hoping to get one someday, but I will just have to continue to rent for now.

arash_hazeghi
05-11-2011, 12:20 PM
I don't think we will see any new lenses this year.

David Stephens
05-11-2011, 12:49 PM
For those of us in the US, I think things are different for this round of upgrades. With the serious fall of the dollar vs. the yen, the quake/tsunami disaster and general improvements in the new lens have widened the price differential between new and old considerably. My 500mm f/4L IS cost $6100 a little over a year ago and would probably be worth that used to a new buyer.

Even though the Series II lenses all seem to be made of unobtanium, I may indeed upgrade to the 500mm or 600mm II when they're generally available. Even at the huge price differnces, the considerably lighter weights and much improved IS has me seriously jonesing for one or the other, particularly now that I'm shooting 99% of my super-tele shots hand held. Luckily I've got a linebacker build and built the muscles up in my left arm to handler my Series I 500mm, but I can imagine the increase in my keeper rate with the IIs.

I too am looking forward to the 200-400mm f/4L +TC. I'm hoping it'll be a four-figure price, but five-figures wouldn't be a huge surprise. I think that lens, plus the new 600mm and the new TCs would be an incredible combination for all types of birds and wildlife.

Arthur Morris
05-11-2011, 01:28 PM
See my blog post "Will the EF 800mm f/5.6L Soon Become Obsolete?" here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2011/04/06/will-the-ef-800mm-f5-6l-soon-become-obsolete/). The answer will likely surprise you....

Jim Neiger
05-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Artie,

I guess we agree on everything except if the 800mm will become obsolete or not. I think purchasing a new one after the 600mm hits the street will be something that very few people will do. The used ones will sell, but only if the price drops a bunch. The new ones will only sell if the price drops a bunch. That's my opinion anyway. I can't afford both and I need the flexibility of the 600mm, so I will likely never own an 800mm no matter the price.

Arthur Morris
05-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Jimmy, Time will tell on the used prices.... I would not expect a lens in excellent condition to dip much below $9K. Hey, check out the last few blog posts and find out why it is a good thing that I decided NOT to meet you at Blue Cypress last Saturday morning.... This one tells the story pretty well: Weekend Surprise. (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2011/05/07/weekend-surprise/)

Jim Neiger
05-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Jimmy, Time will tell on the used prices.... I would not expect a lens in excellent condition to dip much below $9K. Hey, check out the last few blog posts and find out why it is a good thing that I decided NOT to meet you at Blue Cypress last Saturday morning.... This one tells the story pretty well: Weekend Surprise. (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2011/05/07/weekend-surprise/)

Wow! Sorry to hear about your finger. I hope it gets better fast.

Arthur Morris
05-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Thanks. Right now it hurts like a mother and the guy wants me bending it four times per day! Yikes. From perfect after the surgery to down the tubes in well less than a day....

David Stephens
05-12-2011, 09:07 AM
Artie, ok no condolence, but get well soon.

I had a trigger-thumb operated on a few months back and it quickly healed without any infection, but that was only my luck of the draw. Recently, I've had several friend get infections after "routine" surgery or procedures, where one almost died and the other needed extended rehab.

Looks like you've headed off something potentially very serious.

Arthur Morris
05-12-2011, 09:29 AM
Thanks David. I firmly believe that my infection could have been easily prevented....

Tommy Rodgers
05-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Jim,
Right after my Florida trip with you and Shadle, I sold my 800 on ebay, $10,900. As you know, it was much to heavy for my old arms. I, too, am waiting on the new 600. In the meantime, I bought a 500 because of the weight. Though it would give me a better chance at some flight photos. I love the images i got with the 800 and Artie has some good points, but at my point on the photographic learning curve, I feel more comfortable with 500. Thanks again for all your help.

P.S. Your snacks were much better than Shadle's, and I told him so.:S3:

Arthur Morris
05-13-2011, 10:48 AM
Hey Tommy, Assuming that you will likely continue to get older the 500 II may be best for you by the time the new lenses get here.....

Tommy Rodgers
05-13-2011, 11:18 AM
Good point. Every pound helps at the end of the day.

P.S. I have intention to get older. Perhaps, even wiser.:S3: