PDA

View Full Version : PAIRED WESTERN GREBES

gary ellwein
05-10-2011, 10:50 PM
Thanks to all for the warm welcome. I may be wearing out my welcome with another desaturated grebe image. I struggled with the crop and would appreciate comments on same. Nikon D3s, Nikkor 200-400mm, 1.4TC, f9.0, 1/800, iso 400, matrix, manual, skimmer ground pod.

Gary

Brendan Dozier
05-11-2011, 12:09 AM
Nice capture, Gary, and I like the desaturation and the bright red eye. The juxtaposition of the two grebes seems to work well compositionally. Not sure how much room you have but the bird might be just a bit too centered in frame so moving to L or R may help.

denise ippolito
05-11-2011, 06:45 AM
Gary, I doubt if you will be wearing out your welcome with these grebes! Beautiful capture and I like the center comp. for this although you could off center it if you like. Nice sharp front grebe and the OOF juxtaposition grebe adds nicely to the comp.:S3:

Mark Fuge
05-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Nice image and application, Gary.

It would have been nice to have the whole reflection and I might have cropped slightly on top. But a very nice image anyway.

Andrew McLachlan
05-11-2011, 03:32 PM
Hi Gary, I love the desaturated look to this. It is very nice. The eyes and bills of both birds really stand out nicely. :S3:

Christopher Miller
05-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Hi Gary, I love the juxtaposition of the grebes. I think the centered crop is just fine in this case since the birds are looking in opposite directions. The desaturation looks great and really emphasizes the birds eyes and bills. Well done! :S3:

Cheryl Slechta
05-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Gary, I hope you post grebes every day! I like the composition and again the desaturation really makes the image. Great job:S3:

gary ellwein
05-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Thanks to all for the kind comments and suggestions. Nearly all of my activity to date has been in the eager to learn form. This forum is fascinating.

Gary

Kerry Perkins
05-11-2011, 11:29 PM
Hi Gary, glad I brought you over here! :c3: I like to live in both worlds, as I am still learning too.

I like the desaturated grebes and in fact the selective bits of color are a favorite treatment of mine. You did a good job on this one and I can see how the crop can go several different ways. Ultimately, as Mark says, it's your image and your vision. Thanks for stopping by and I hope you continue to post in both forums. You can't escape me either way! :c3: