PDA

View Full Version : Foggy Morn'

Mike Fuhr
05-10-2011, 10:17 PM
Had a chance to get out for a few days and shoot some pictures in the Ozark Mountains in northeastern Oklahoma. One of the mornings was super foggy and offered some time to shoot landscapes from a bluff overlooking the Illinois river. The fog was so thick that you couldn't see the river. This one was my favorite -- I couldn't take a picture without including this lone coreopsis growing out of the rocks. That's fellow BPNer Danny Brown looming in the background.

Nikon D300
Sigma 10-20 F5.6 @ 20mm
F5.6
1/1250
ISO 400
Hand held (tripod head gave out)

Robert Amoruso
05-11-2011, 06:32 AM
Mike,

I like the composition with the FG interest (flower - thought I would recommend not clipping one of its leafs) and diagonal leading to Dan in the BG. The fact that you had to go HH here and use a small aperture is hurting the overall effort as a majority of the image is OOF and the small portions of the FG and flow in focus are not enough to carry visual interest IMO.

Fof the fog, I would suggest local contrast enhancement (USM on BG copy at 20/50/0) to increase the contrast in similar BGs.

Andrew McLachlan
05-11-2011, 03:10 PM
Hi Mike, nice comp and including Dan really gives the image some scale. Agree with Robert's critique. If it were mine I would evict the branches in the upper right.

Dave Mills
05-11-2011, 05:31 PM
HiMike, good observations above. For my taste I might crop from the left to a little before the highest branch on the left...

Roman Kurywczak
05-12-2011, 08:51 AM
Hey Mike,
Great observations above. I like your perspective.....but just a touch more DOF by sacrificing some of the SS would have been nice.....mostly to get the flower a bit sharper. I really like the comp flow here....so just a few tweaks mentioned by Robert and Andrew will work wonders IMO.

Mike Fuhr
05-12-2011, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the thoughts and ideas. I actually chose the open aperture bc I wanted the foreground to be the subject more than the cliff/person in the bg. The ss was also a necessity bc of the breeze blowing the fog and flower. I'll look at those branches...

Harshad Barve
05-12-2011, 09:46 PM
Mikebhai ,
Looks like you had blast of time there , excellent image and great observations above
TFS

Mike Fuhr
05-14-2011, 11:37 AM
Mikebhai ,
Looks like you had blast of time there , excellent image and great observations above
TFS

We did HB!