PDA

View Full Version : One square meal

Steve Kaluski
05-10-2011, 03:46 AM
These are great birds to photograph and can be so trusting once they get used to you, coming within inches of you. This one was returning after a sortie out to sea for some sand eels for the newly acquired offspring.

Steve
MKIII 500/4 1/1600sec f/6.3 ISO400 (HH/FF) Farne islands

Slight Highlight/Shadow, Curves, Saturation adjustments, minor USM

Ofer Levy
05-10-2011, 03:51 AM
Lovely image! I don't mind the grass in front of the bird as my eyes go to the head and beak anyhow.

Kaustubh Deshpande
05-10-2011, 08:22 AM
Steve, I like tight shots. This one is really nice...feather details, light, sharpness, angle...everything spot on. I am liking the FG blur and the texture in it. Very well done.

Jeff Dyck
05-10-2011, 08:55 AM
Absolutely gorgeous portrait Steve. The feather detail is fantastic, killer background and I love the fish in the bill and OOF foreground. About the only thing I might revisit is the eye - it looks a bit hazy (covered with the nictitating membrane?). I think a bit of eye-doctoring to get some more contrast / reflection there would make the image all that much better.

Steve Kaluski
05-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Thanks guys. :cheers:

Jeff you are correct about your observation, will lake a look into it. :w3

Cheers
Steve

Kiran Poonacha
05-10-2011, 10:44 AM
love the image Steve, nice pose, details and the off grass in the FG adds well IMO. nicely done.

Steve Kaluski
05-10-2011, 11:35 AM
Jeff, here is the 'doctored' version.

I don't normally like to go as far as this, but under these circumstances... The eye was taken from the next frame so comfortable about that, in fact, you can even see the two other photographers besides me :eek:

cheers
Steve :5

Ken Canning
05-10-2011, 11:41 AM
I love the detail, especially in the eels. The eye transplant is an improvement.

Dumay de Boulle
05-10-2011, 11:51 AM
Gorgeous portrait..IQ and details are the fanatstic...Not sure which eye I prefer. As they both I suppose are not optimal due to membrane or people reflection! Great work as always Steve!

Stu Bowie
05-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Good to see you popping in here Steve.:w3 Great repost, and I like the overall exposure, details and colours. I like the OOF grass in the FG, and the bill full of fish adds to the image.

Vivaldo Damilano
05-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Excellent Steve, agree these birds are so so photogenic. I like the repost TFS:cheers:

Shaun Boycott-Taylor
05-11-2011, 08:22 AM
Great portrait Steve.

Lots of detail in the bird. Love the beak full of Sandeels, oof grass does not bother me as the size of the Birds head in the frame takes you straight to it.

I prefer the "reworked" eye.

Not bad for a Mammal lover:bg3:

More please:S3:

Shaun:5

Pieter de Waal
05-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Nice image of a bird that has allways fascinated me. Prefer the repost Steve, love the soft light which has brought out the colours and detail beautifully. I also like the inclusion of the grasses, gives it a nice natural feel.

Austin Thomas
05-13-2011, 05:52 AM
Very nice indeed Steve,

Lots to like in this image.

Is this one from this year? I am interested to know what stage they are in their breeding process.

Cheers

Austin

Steve Kaluski
05-13-2011, 06:04 AM
Hi Matey, no, right at the end of last year, hence the food, still early days for them. Might see you next month there, will be in touch?

cheers
Steve

susanschermer
05-13-2011, 09:19 AM
Very impressive portrait and like the improved sharp eye. I will be going for puffin shoot in July. Hope mine are as fantastic as this one.

Ken Watkins
05-13-2011, 09:30 AM
Steve,

The use of an eye from another image seems to me to be taking manipulation a little far, was there any material difference between the OP and that you took the eye from?