PDA

View Full Version : WESTERN GREBE - moved from ETL

gary ellwein
05-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Nikon D3s, Nikkor 200-400mm, 1.4TC, f9.0, 1/640, iso 400, matrix, manual, skimmer ground pod. The blue water bg was desaturated [artistic license], selective usm of grebe, mild focal dodge and burn. C & C appreciated.

Gary

Kerry Perkins
05-10-2011, 01:22 AM
Gary, you took this one out of the box with the desaturation. It appears that more than the water got desaturated. I think this one would be better in OOTB. Would you like for me to move it there? I like the artistic look very much, but I think it belongs over in "my other forum". :c3:

gary ellwein
05-10-2011, 08:37 AM
Gary, you took this one out of the box with the desaturation. It appears that more than the water got desaturated. I think this one would be better in OOTB. Would you like for me to move it there? I like the artistic look very much, but I think it belongs over in "my other forum". :c3:

Move away. Thanks for the look.

Gary

Kerry Perkins
05-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Hey everybody, let's welcome Gary to OOTB! I really like his artistic treatment of this grebe and thought it should be seen here. :c3:

denise ippolito
05-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Gary, Big welcome to OOTB! I like the pose very much with that red eye looking right at us! Very nice details and I like the de saturated look-it really emphasis the eye. If it were mine (and it's only a personal preference) I'd add a slice to the top. Nice work!:S3:

Cheryl Slechta
05-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Gary, a big welcome to OOTB:S3: The desaturation works really well with this image. I hope you post lots more.

Julie Kenward
05-10-2011, 08:08 PM
The good ones always end up here sooner or later. :bg3::S3::bg3:

That eye is wicked red! Wow! I love the desat look...might try adding a bit or brown to the red eye to see if that would make it look more intense and a little less "blood-like" - but its your call. I'd also take a small strip off the bottom, lowering the bird a bit into the bottom third. Lovely image!

gary ellwein
05-10-2011, 09:28 PM
The good ones always end up here sooner or later. :bg3::S3::bg3:

That eye is wicked red! Wow! I love the desat look...might try adding a bit or brown to the red eye to see if that would make it look more intense and a little less "blood-like" - but its your call. I'd also take a small strip off the bottom, lowering the bird a bit into the bottom third. Lovely image!

Thanks to all for the warm welcome and suggestions. Julie, how do I add a bit of brown to the eye?

Gary

Julie Kenward
05-12-2011, 08:03 AM
Gary, you can select the eye by color using the magic wand tool and then open a hue/adjustment layer and select "reds" and then move the hue around to see if it darkens it to a color that you like better.

There are other ways to do this but this one is the easiest. You can also do a photo filter over the area or add some different colors with the selective color adjustment as well.

gary ellwein
05-12-2011, 10:49 AM
[QUOTE=Julie Kenward;668316]Gary, you can select the eye by color using the magic wand tool and then open a hue/adjustment layer and select "reds" and then move the hue around to see if it darkens it to a color that you like better.

There are other ways to do this but this one is the easiest. You can also do a photo filter over the area or add some different colors with the selective color adjustment as well.

Thanks for the suggestions Julie.

Gary