PDA

View Full Version : Silver Falls

dankearl
05-09-2011, 07:16 PM
A well known falls in Oregon.
A lot of standard views and I have a bunch.
I thought a different look through the rain forest trail might be interesting.

.625 sec
f11
iso200
19mm
Nikon 10-24 lens w/ CP

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af332/dkearl/DSC_6084_2.jpg

Dave Mills
05-09-2011, 08:56 PM
Hi Dan, Technically well handled with good detail in the water. I like the fact you showed the whole falls with the path leading to it. However, not a big fan of all the branches and brush blocking the falls...

Mark Farnan
05-09-2011, 09:55 PM
I have to agree with Dave,

The path and whole falls from the angle is good, as is the water detail but those branches are very distracting. Unfortunatly they are killing it for me. I do agree with taking a 'different' view however. As a suggestion, that looks like it was taken from normal tripid height ? Perhaps get a bit lower ont he path, and shoot 'up' at the falls with the wide angle. (or shift lens), which will push the branches further up the falls, so they only cover the top, leaving the bottom part 'clear' yet still getting the path in. (which I like).

Its the lower foreground branches that are the problem IMO. The ones at the back, and the higher ones are not.

The few branches I DO like,are the ones covering the empty 'V' or sky above the waterfall, as this is generally a really boring part of most waterfall shots.

Regards

Mark

Robert Amoruso
05-11-2011, 06:23 AM
Dan,

Good out of the box thinking on this one. I do understand the resistance to the branches in the FG but am not as bothered by its as Mark and Dave. I do think Mark had a great suggestion that a lower POV was a good option here.

I like the slight blurring of the leaves due to the slow shutter speed.

Andrew McLachlan
05-11-2011, 02:57 PM
Hi Dan, always a good idea to try different views. I like what you have captured here looking through the forest. I wonder how this would look when the foreground branches leaf-out more. Nice work!

Roman Kurywczak
05-12-2011, 08:46 AM
Hey Dan,
Like the others, I like your thinking but not too fond of the FG either. I do like the path and Andrew brings up an interesting point on the FG brush being leafed out.....may help. I do really like the idea of getting lower also......may also work and just a good thought to keep in mind when out in the field.