PDA

View Full Version : Down low with a Burrowing Owl.

Daniel Cadieux
05-09-2011, 07:08 PM
In between new local bird photos that I've been post-processing I've also been finishing a few more of the Florida bird pictures I took back in February. Here's another of the Burrowing Owl that I quite like. For this one I got down low to put some foreground out-of-focus vegetation in the bottom part of the image to make for a softer, cleaner edge at the bottom. It looked alot better this way than getting higher and seeing the "messy" surroundings, plus it gave an intimate eye-level view of this beautiful raptor.

Canon 1D MK IV + 100-400L + 1.4 TC (560mm), aperture priority, evaluative metering, 1/250s., f/9, ISO 800, -0.7 EC, natural light, handheld (elbows to ground), FF.

Tom Rambaut
05-09-2011, 07:15 PM
I like this - the low perspective and the OOF vegetation gives a real view to how this raptor lives in the wild.

Kaustubh Deshpande
05-10-2011, 12:08 AM
Very nice Daniel. I'd take OOF FG blur like this any day over a subpar BG. Good choice. Comp., exposure, IQ excellent as always.

Robert Holguin
05-10-2011, 12:27 AM
Real nice shot. I really like the low angle and the pose its giving you. Great eye contact and detail. Well done.

DanWalters
05-10-2011, 12:42 AM
Nice low angle and I like the OOF grass in the foreground. Nice soft light as well.

Stu Bowie
05-10-2011, 01:46 AM
Good low perspective Dan, and the surrounding OOF grasses works well to frame the little guy. Good eye contact, and I like the soft light. Well captured.

Chris Martinez
05-10-2011, 05:48 AM
Daniel, did you have to selectively fiddle with any of the OOF blades of grass. If not it worked out nicely not having any errant blades. I really like these types of photographs(framed with OOF stuff) but it's often a challenge to have everything come together.

I like the way in which the bird is looking through that "tunnel" which cuts across the frame.

Dumay de Boulle
05-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Gorgeous image...IQ and low angle are great and the colors look spot on!

stuart wanuck
05-10-2011, 12:04 PM
Like low perspective eyes are intense good image

Daniel Cadieux
05-11-2011, 04:57 AM
Daniel, did you have to selectively fiddle with any of the OOF blades of grass. If not it worked out nicely not having any errant blades. I really like these types of photographs(framed with OOF stuff) but it's often a challenge to have everything come together.

I like the way in which the bird is looking through that "tunnel" which cuts across the frame.

Thanks Chris. No grass blade removal for this one, just careful positioning and a bit lucky that there wasn't anything else in the way...

Chris Martinez
05-11-2011, 05:14 AM
Good on ya Daniel !!

Jon Lutz
05-14-2011, 09:16 PM
I like the balanced framing within the green, eye level perspective, and the fact that the owl is not staring right back at you. It is a sweet and calm photo of a high-strung species.