PDA

View Full Version : Lake Port Grasshopper

Don Hamilton Jr.
05-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Found this subject While working some Cattle Egrets! a 500mm Macro shot...: it was quite windy, so i cranked up the speed!! 2eyes2:
Camera Model Canon EOS 7D
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/2000
Av( Aperture Value ) 8.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation -1/3
ISO Speed 800
Lens EF500mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x
Focal Length 700.0mm

Jonathan Ashton
05-09-2011, 07:56 AM
Nice shot Don, I like the exposure you have captured good detail there in the dark and light areas. The fast shutter speed certainly paid off and you have good DOF. I have sometimes used a similar set up and I too have been pleased with the results.

OvidiuCavasdan
05-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Good use of that lens:S3:, good details and nice colors, I like the bg. I would try to clean up the perch a bit.

Ken Childs
05-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Cool bug, Don! It looks like it's one of the many stages of an Eastern Lubber. It would have been nice if the 'hopper was turned slightly towards you and there wasn't a leg blocking its face but these are things beyond your control.....it's still a nice capture. I like the BG but there's a bit too much detail which is distracting my eye from the bug so maybe some added blur would be worth trying. I agree with Ovidiu that some clean up on the perch is needed. What is that perch? It's pretty cool looking itself! :S3:

Don Hamilton Jr.
05-10-2011, 06:16 AM
Good morning the perch was a cat tail, around lake Okee. Some folks call them bull rush... they mature and let off a million of the white seeds you see.
Don

bhavya joshi
05-10-2011, 10:22 AM
cool bug.. don, nicely details and captured..BG also great...I think It was nice if,. a face at you side.
but..overall nice macro..:S3:

Jason Kinsey
05-10-2011, 10:38 PM
Beautiful image Don, I particularly like the DOF. Nicely done.

Brendan Dozier
05-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Nice compostion, and very cool looking grasshopper, Don. Great details and color. The perch is a bit prominent, but still there is good contrast between the grasshopper, perch, and BG. The light is a bit harsh, but you managed it well. Nicely done!

Steve Maxson
05-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Hi Don. The 700 mm macro did a very nice job for you! Good sharpness throughout and I like the diagonal comp. The light is a bit harsher than ideal, but it was well handled. Now that I know that the perch is a cattail head, I don't mind the white seeds. :S3: I agree with Ken's suggestion to try blurring the background a little more as that would strengthen the image - there is just enough texture there to draw my eye.

Roman Kurywczak
05-12-2011, 09:24 AM
Hey Don,
I need to use one of those 70mm macros:bg3:! A lightly better position towards us would have been great.....but I can only imagine how tough that was on a breezy day! Nice job oveall!