PDA

View Full Version : Wasp mimic (?)

Jonathan Ashton
05-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Canon 7D canon 180mm macro tripod & Mongoose head. ISO 400 1/125 sec f8
At last I have been able to get the macro lens out! It has been a lean period for all photography as we have been concentrating on a house extension, now thankfully it is complete, but we still have to reconstruct the garden after all the mess.
I thought you may be interested to know that I find the tripod and head that I use for the 500mm f4 to be extremely useful for macro work. I use a Gitzo tripod and a Mongoose 3.5head, having bought a plate (very cheap one for this and the 100-400L from Hong Kong) for the lens to attach to the head. It is very easy to change angle and inclination as well as direction and what is more the lens stays put - no movements that you often get with other heads once things are tightened up.
It was a breezy day when I took the shot hence f8 as opposed to f11-16 and I was unable to get myself in a position where the body was more at right angles to the lens but I thought it was a reasonable start for the season. All comments welcome.

Julie Kenward
05-08-2011, 06:28 PM
Looks like more than a reasonable start to me! I really like the placement of the insect and main leaf in the image and even like the faint stems coming out from below it. My one comment would be to take a look at the leaf in the BRC and think about toning it down just a bit since it's so close to both the frame and the main subject matter.

Lovely details on this guy!

Mitch Haimov
05-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Looks like you're off to a good start for the year, Jon! Good sharpness and detail where you need it. The composition works for me, but a tighter version (at least at the small image sizes on BPN) might be a good way to bring out more detail.

OvidiuCavasdan
05-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Good start for the season Jonathan! Sharp where it needs. I find the leaf at bottom left a bit distracting. Hope to see some BF images soon:S3:

Ken Childs
05-09-2011, 04:53 PM
Hi Jon, I've been wondering where you've been. :S3:

That is one cool looking bug! Is it a cricket or just a beetle with long legs? The shallow DOF isn't a problem to me....it's sharp where it needs to be. Here's another vote for a tighter crop, concentrating mainly on the bug and the leaf it's perched on. I'd like to see the bug's head closer to the UR ROT position. You're certainly off to a good start for macro season! :S3:

Steve Maxson
05-09-2011, 09:14 PM
Hi Jonathan. Welcome back. Your subject appears to be one of the Round-necked Longhorn beetles (there are over 900 species of longhorn beetles in N. America - and I expect there are lots in the UK as well) and is clearly a wasp mimic as are a number of species of these beetles. Nice sharpness, the exposure is right on, and it gave you an interesting pose - it looks like it's doing some grooming. Here's another vote for a tighter crop. Well done.

bhavya joshi
05-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Great sharpness. details,..Exposure, BG.all the thing is perfect... superb.. macro...:c3:
I also think that you should blur lower leaf.

Jerry van Dijk
05-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Hi Jonathan, wonderful critter. You indeed caught it at a bit of an odd angle, with its head turned as well. Agree with the others about cropping tighter.
If I'm not mistaken, this is Clytus arietis, in English actually called a Wasp beetle. Steve is completely correct that it is a species of Longhorn beetle. My bug book says even its behaviour mimics a wasp.

Jonathan Ashton
05-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Thanks very much for the feedback everyone, much appreciated.

Roman Kurywczak
05-12-2011, 09:22 AM
Hey Jonathan,
Welcome back! Like Jerry, not the best angle and agreee with above suggestions. Looking forward to your new work as it is always a treat!