PDA

View Full Version : White-faced Duck

Stu Bowie
05-08-2011, 09:10 AM
I went to a birding spot in Pretoria this morning, as it was the first clear morning for ages. I really wanted to experiment by using manual mode, as I havent used it often. After reading the thread, I thought I would try it out. This image was captured in manual mode.

Canon 50D
100-400 @ 400mm
1/1600
F/6.3
ISO 640

Manual
Hand held

Doug Brown
05-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Great wing position, exposure, and sharpness. Like the pano crop. I didn't weigh in on the manual vs. Av thread, but manual is by far the best mode for capturing BIF against a varied BG (assuming constant light). Once you get comfortable with it, there is no going back for BIF. I'm curious how you liked it.

Stu Bowie
05-08-2011, 09:39 AM
Once you get comfortable with it, there is no going back for BIF. I'm curious how you liked it.

Thanks Doug. I pretty much enjoyed it, as I feel I achieved good results. This particular spot has varied BG's, from water, to distant foliage, and obviously sky. Furthermore, these guys are a bit tricky, as one can blow their faces pretty easily, but still manage to expose the darker plumage and wings. Apart from adjusting a small hot area on the face, no further exposure in pp was required on the plumage. I will definately have another go next weekend. :w3 Cheers.

Daniel Cadieux
05-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Yep, although I use AV lots I agree Manual is pretty much a must for these types of conditions and situations. I love the duck's pose - awesome full wings down position, but not as crazy about the streaked background. Sure looks like a speedy one!

arash_hazeghi
05-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Excellent pose and details Stu. I agree with Doug, manual mode is the only reliable mode for shooting BIF against varied BG IMHO.

Excellent job!

Jeff Dyck
05-08-2011, 08:28 PM
Great image Stuart! I really like the pose. I am going to disagree with Daniel here - I quite like the streaked background - I think it gives a motion-blur like feel of movement.

+1 on Manual Mode for in-flight shots

Dumay de Boulle
05-09-2011, 03:12 AM
Hey Stu...I quite like the BG...It gives the illusion of speed. Nice exp, also been looking to try manual exp out in the field...I will give it a bash this weekend

Stu Bowie
05-09-2011, 05:26 AM
Thanks all for the kind words and feedback.

Chris Kotze
05-09-2011, 08:25 AM
Super flight angle and great detail that's well exposed.

Sidharth Kodikal
05-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Superb image Stuart. Gorgeous details, pose, exposure and specie. Love that eye.
Nicely done.

Kiran Poonacha
05-10-2011, 11:39 AM
Beautifully done Bhai.. loved the details captured..