05-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Canaveral National Seashore - Brevard County, FL
5/9/11
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 24mm TS lens
2 sec. @ f/22
ISO 200
6 stop ND Filter

Post processed using Nik HDR Efex Pro - Single Image Tone Map using Realistic/Balanced preset and Nik COlor Efex Pro using Tonal Contrast Preset

A few things different then my normal method with this type of image. Much faster shutter speed then normal as I like the silky water created with very slow speeds so a departure for me. My intention was to overlay the previous image at a slower shutter speed with the faster one here so the clouds were not so blurred but I ended up liking the look of the water.

I next used the NIK plug-ins to amp up contrast and structure in the water and clouds in lieu of selective sharpening, local contrast enhancement and curves.

dankearl
05-08-2011, 10:43 AM
Beautiful light, it looks wider than 24mm.
The water is also really well done, just the right SS and exposure.

Dave Mills
05-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Hi Robert, nice job on this! Very dramatic sky with just enough ocean. Your adjustments really popped the detail. Good one!

Robert Amoruso
05-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Beautiful light, it looks wider than 24mm.
The water is also really well done, just the right SS and exposure.

Thanks Dan. I will be trying more shorter shutters speeds in the future. I appreciate the feedback on that aspect of the image in particular.

Robert Amoruso
05-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Hi Robert, nice job on this! Very dramatic sky with just enough ocean. Your adjustments really popped the detail. Good one!

Thanks Dave. I have been working on different methods of processing these to make the details obvious w/o it looking fake.

John Ippolito
05-08-2011, 07:24 PM
A beautifully composed image, Robert. I agree, the details are very crisp, and the surf looks outstanding.
Everything looks very clean and natural.
I'm also liking Nik's great structure and contrast controls, sometimes bypassing other sharpening.
Just curious, did you use the tilt on this?

Andrew Aveley
05-09-2011, 03:37 AM
i enjoy this "natural effect " and this composition is really great. soft colour tones are very warming !

Robert Amoruso
05-09-2011, 05:52 AM
A beautifully composed image, Robert. I agree, the details are very crisp, and the surf looks outstanding.
Everything looks very clean and natural.
I'm also liking Nik's great structure and contrast controls, sometimes bypassing other sharpening.
Just curious, did you use the tilt on this?

John, No tilt, I use shift to set the horizon's location allowing me to negate curvature distortion of the horizon. DOF using Hyper-Focal Distance handled the rest.

Robert Amoruso
05-09-2011, 05:53 AM
i enjoy this "natural effect " and this composition is really great. soft colour tones are very warming !

Thanks Andrew.

Roman Kurywczak
05-09-2011, 08:29 AM
Hey Robert,
Great sky and I like the look of the water too. Very nice job on PP'ing this too!

Andrew McLachlan
05-11-2011, 02:39 PM
Robert, a little late, but nicely processed. I really like the way the motion to the waves - can almost hear them. The sky is killer!

Harshad Barve
05-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Love the light and clouds here , excellent
TFS