PDA

View Full Version : Night Colour

Andrew Aveley
05-08-2011, 06:11 AM
Have been experimenting for several months with landscaping at night. Some may think this lack a FG interests like a tree or rock painted with light but wanted to keep attention on celestial formations and colours. There was a town behind the hill which i included to add its warm glow .All feedback would be appreciated.

Canon 5D MK 2 , 16-35 mm MK 2 , F 2.8 , ISO 2000 , 30 sec , on tripod with Hahnel remote release

Robert Amoruso
05-08-2011, 08:34 AM
Andrew,

I like the hill that you chose for the sky composition. The mound points up right to the leading line of the cosmic formation. I might be tempted to crop just a bit from the bottom to see how that works. Nicely done.

Dave Mills
05-08-2011, 08:41 AM
Hi Andrew, In this case IMO the strength of the sky along with the sihouetted hill is enough to carry the image. I looked at Robert's suggestion regarding the cropped hill and feel it works. To get the full impact of an image like this it should be looked at with black all around it and then the sky really pops.

Roger Clark
05-08-2011, 09:26 AM
Andrew,

Nicely done. I especially like the star colors and Milky Way cloud colors. I like the effect of the hill; it looks like a volcano and the Milky Way is erupting out of the volcano. I like the crop as is, but if you cropped more off the bottom it would be equal, so no plus or minus in my opinion. It works either way.

Did you use levels at all or curves?

Roger

John Ippolito
05-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Milky Way is nicely captured. I like the comp, and the town lights give an added aura to the mountain. I like it fine as presented, but a slight browser crop from the bottom seems to strengthen it. Well done.

Andrew Aveley
05-09-2011, 03:53 AM
I appreciate all the great feedback thank you. I played with other landscape crops with little fg so I get what you are suggesting and will include it !

@ Roger , i have used mostly Lightroom 3 for minor adjustments. I have a baseline preset i have developed and work out from there for this type of image. very basic levels and some curves

Andrew

Roman Kurywczak
05-09-2011, 08:26 AM
Hey Andrew,
Agree with the crop but it is still very nice as presented! You may try to offset the milky way if possible next time.....but it does appear like it is erupting out of the top! Very nicely done!

Andrew Aveley
05-10-2011, 01:56 PM
thanks for all the great feedback !:c3:

Morkel Erasmus
05-10-2011, 03:24 PM
very nice Andrew! I would try and "pop" the milky way nebulae with a selective round of USM at 20%, 50px...you'd be amazed at the results :)

Andrew McLachlan
05-11-2011, 02:32 PM
Andrew, a little late to the party, but I really like this one. The orange glow form city lights adds to this nicely. Agree with a smidge off the bottom.

Andrew Aveley
05-12-2011, 06:04 AM
thanks for the advice, much appreciated!:eek:

Harshad Barve
05-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Very nice image ,
TFS

Andrew Aveley
05-19-2011, 01:16 AM
thanks Harshad :c3: