PDA

View Full Version : Farne Islands' Sea birds

Rich Steel
05-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Hi

A while a go I produced an overview guide to photographing the sea birds on the Farne Islands in North East England. This may be useful for anyone visiting the UK from May to July. It can be downloaded as pdf from

http://freepdfhosting.com/447a<WBR></WBR>06bbd7.pdf (http://freepdfhosting.com/447a06bbd7.pdf)

Cheers

Rich

Steve Kaluski
05-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Hi Rich

Most boat operators don't normally leave much before 10.00am and as you say, the trip to the island can take between 30-45 mins depending on what you might see along the way, therefore you are hitting the island mid to late morning.

If you are a National Trust member, don't forget your 'pass'.

Finally, a good set of light weight, packable, waterproofs is a must, as the weather (as you know), can turn easily from sunny hot, to a torrential heavy down pour, which can make the journey back even longer when soaking wet & cold!!! :bg3:

Steve

John Chardine
05-14-2011, 05:42 AM
Thanks Rich. Haven't been to the Farnes since my Durham University days 30+ years ago now! It is one of the best seabird colonies to visit anywhere.

Jamie Douglas
05-16-2011, 08:51 PM
Excellent, I am heading there in June while I visit my folks.

Steve Kaluski
05-17-2011, 01:14 PM
Hi James when are you going there as you may find there are some members also there? What is your time frame?

Steve

Jamie Douglas
05-17-2011, 08:57 PM
I see Project Puffin (Richard peters, Austin Thomas, and Alan Hewitt) are heading there the during the 15th-16th but I will be in the Isle of Skye that week hopefully photographing sea eagles. I plan to head to the farne's on the 22nd as my folks are in Northumberland so its close by. A shame I will miss Project Puffin as it would have been great to meet them. Do you know of anyone else heading that way during the week starting June 20th? I will be in the UK for 3 weeks but have Bass Rock lined up and then a week in Scotland and then a friends wedding. Cannea wait.

Jamie

Geoff Warnock
05-18-2011, 02:56 AM
Hi Rich, very nice little guide. I'm starting to plan a puffin trip and scouting locations, so it's very useful.

Depending on how much further you intend to take the guide, it would be very nice if you were to include some maps, and maybe your personal recommendations for places to stay!

Austin Thomas
05-21-2011, 09:06 AM
Hi Rich, Thanks for the guide. Much appreciated.

@ Jamie,

It is a shame that our dates don't align. Project Puffin, as you mention, runs 15,16 June at the Farnes then we intend to go further down the coast and spend some time at Bempton cliffs on 17th. Bempton is worth a visit if you get that far south during your stay.

Cheers

Austin

Rich Steel
05-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the comments.

Steve, the be prepared for the weather is already covered in the guide. I have encountered all four seasons in a day out there! Thanks for the reminder of the National Trust Pass. I didn't include it as I figured that most visiting from overseas would not have one and would just pay the landing fee.

Geoff in terms of expanding the guide. A map would not really help much as the islands are not very big and I would run into copyright issues if I included them. I am also hesitant to include recommendations for accomodation, as what I might considered to be good may not meet others' approval.

As mentioned, if you on the east coast Bempton is definately worth a call in for gannets and fulmar.

Steve Kaluski
05-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Weather gear, fine Rich, but don't forget it is not just overseas that may view this, only try to add. :S3:

Jamie Douglas
05-22-2011, 01:19 PM
Hi Rich, Thanks for the guide. Much appreciated.

@ Jamie,

It is a shame that our dates don't align. Project Puffin, as you mention, runs 15,16 June at the Farnes then we intend to go further down the coast and spend some time at Bempton cliffs on 17th. Bempton is worth a visit if you get that far south during your stay.

Cheers

Austin

I'll have to give Bemtpon a miss this visit. I have a calendar in front of me and at this rate I barely have enough time to have a few pints in the pub with old mates. Be sure to tweet some advice as I'll be keeping up with project puffin

The next time I visit my folks I'll be sure to check if you are in the area.

Jamie