PDA

View Full Version : Cassin's or Brewers

Paul Lagasi
05-06-2011, 06:21 PM
This image was taken along HWY. 10 in New Mexico at a rest area, There were 100's of these sparrows. I am leaning towards Cassin's but not 100% sure....Was very harsh sunlight.....Thanks for looking

Dan Brown
05-07-2011, 05:46 PM
Hi Paul. My first impression is Vesper. I think I'm seeing white outer tail feathers (not sure with the backlighting!) The eye ring, bill features and face pattern match what I expect in Vesper. The plumage seems gray and not warm buff that I expect in Cassin's. Also, you mention that there were 100's. This sounds like a wintering flock. I have never seen a "flock" of Cassin's Sparrows! I would expect to see a winter flock of Brewer's/Claycolored/Chipping/Vesper, but not Cassin's. But really, the strong eye ring and white outer tail feathers are the big field marks for me to say VESPER!!!

Paul Lagasi
05-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Thanks Dan, your input always appreciated...next year we fly to San Diego and drive to Arizona, for some of the later birds, in mid-May....maybe we can get out..

The Nationa Geo...says "distinctive white tips on outer feathers are most conspicuous in flight" for Cassin's
and says "dark malar stripe" and Smithsonian say's "eyeline extends behind but not infront" for Brewer's. Which this bird has all 3....That is why I am having so much trouble deciding...this bird was overall lightly colored, where our eastern Vesper's are much darker....but Dan you got me rethinking my first impression...now more convinced its a Brewers....not Cassins

I have another photo taken that day and photoshopped to bring out the color...When I get home from work I will post it, on this thread...

Dan Brown
05-07-2011, 09:25 PM
I would go with Brewer's also if I wasn't seeing the white outer tail feathers Paul! Also, I checked some of my images of Brewer's and Vesper and the bill on your bird seems to fit Vesper better. This bird looks really good for a western Vesper, but I am still not sure that the outer tail feathers are white! Do you remember seeing them in flight?

Paul Lagasi
05-07-2011, 11:08 PM
Here is an image taken at the same place could even be the same bird at a different angle.....edited in CS5 to bring out the color and mute the harsh lighting.....I will ask Bill and check all my images and see if we have one of the birds in flight

Dan Brown
05-08-2011, 08:46 AM
Here is an image taken at the same place could even be the same bird at a different angle.....edited in CS5 to bring out the color and mute the harsh lighting.....I will ask Bill and check all my images and see if we have one of the birds in flight

This angle looks like Brewer's. No white outer tail feathers, notched tail and although the eye ring is stronger than I rememeber, the guides say it's supposed to be.

John Chardine
05-12-2011, 09:23 AM
Hi Paul- Plus a Vesper would show a streaked upper breast, which this bird doesn't have.

The eye-ring is very visible in the second image. This guy looks pretty small compared to the wire fence perch. All this does point to Brewer's.